• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Very good videos on submarine life. This is an fast attack SSN 688I.

I preferred the fast attack SSN 637 class submarines due to the operations we did and closeness of the crews. I spent time hot racking (3 guys rotating between 1 or two beds). Living out of my sea bag underway because the rack I had didn't have a bedpan. Going to sea with no fresh food and two freezers vice the normal 1 freezer and 1 refrigerator. Loading all parts and food by hand in long lines of men (stores load). Loading cans of food, coffee, sugar and flour on the walking decks and placing plywood on top to walk on underway. We took bird bath showers with a wet rag, didn't shave or cut hair to conserve water and prevent having to run water making machinery that was noisy. Submarine's number one enemy is the salt water trying to get in to the people tank and number two would be noise radiating out into the ocean around the boat.

I watched the whole video and didn’t see the first screen door. J/K. I’ll stick with my helicopters. Got a lot of respect for those guys it’s just not for me. That’s a whole lot of “kick ass” in one metal tube. God bless them for what they do.
Mutual respect as I don't think I would climb in a helicopter. More aircraft at the bottom of the ocean than submarines. LOL

coming from a rescue background, many choppers would have to go down to equal a sub. And most were from search and rescue.

but I understand. I always wanted to be in a Sub! BUT, I would like to test the waters first! Sorry for the bad Pun

The good thing about being a Sonar tech is we had our ship done before pulling in to port. We raced the missile techs to the bar while the knuckle dragged had to stay behind on do maintenance….

Back
Top Bottom