• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Volvo brake problem

jaf1

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
193   0
Reaction score
Have a 1990 Volvo 760 turbo, 84,000 miles,front brakes locked up a few years back,replaced calipers, rotors and pads,drove it the other day and the same thing happened, thinking maybe a proportioning valve maybe?

If the 700 series brakes are like the 240's, it aint like regular break systems, 3 bleeders on the fronts with 2 break lines and a complicated bleeding sequence. There is what looks like a proportioning valve but I think they call it something else. It could also be caused by the old rubber brake lines swelling and then not letting all the fluid return to the system. On the 240's, you can cut any one brake line and still have 80% breaking.

I'm lousy at trying to explain thing with a keyboard. Best advice I can give, get a good shop manual, look on the Volvo forums or take it too some one who works on older Volvos, not Midas or the like.

I agree with a stuck P valve. You can stomp the brake pedal, I mean stomp it good and hard several times and it will shock the valve. Ive had several cars that sat for years and years and that always free'd up the valve.

I've got a friend with an old Volo that swears you gotta use dealer brake parts or else.Dont know if that's true but thought I'd throw it out there.

Can't imagine how much parts would be from dealer,a gas cap spring was $60,looked like a big clothespin spring, aftermarket stuff is high enough, rear shocks are over $400 each,nothing is normal about working on these,not a one of my mechanics I know will work on them and I see why.

There is a Volvo junkyard/parts dealer on Chatahoochee in Atlanta. If you need old parts, they are a great resource.

Back
Top Bottom