Wanting to reload for my M1A .308 / 7.62 NATO

thegiantmidget

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
I am looking to start rolling for my M1A shortly. I have NATO surplus ammo for real training and social work. I am hoping to work up a plinking load with a cast lead bullet. The idea, and I've read some very limited publication on it, is to use a reasonably accurate combination of a low-velocity lead bullet and low-medium powder charge, essentially rendering the rifle a straight-pull bolt action, which is fine for my purposes (punching paper at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards, respectively)

I am wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, what recipe you used. The only data I have involves an .30 Carbine 115 grain lead bullet over 5 grains of Bullseye. This will strictly be an economic paper punching load and will serve no hunting, training, or defensive purpose.

Thoughts?

I can't make myself shoot anything without a jacket in a gas operated weapon. Not at any velocity. I love cast bullets, but I ain't shooting them in anything with gas ports.

Many do though. As I choose not shoot cast in gas weapons, I suggest the Cast Boolits website for the most info. Please be cautious as to what to believe at any site though. CD

Why not just look for pulled 147gr FMJs or hunt specials on new manufacture 147gr Hornadys and not fight cast loads?

Price, really. By my math, I can roll a reduced power straight pull .308 with a cast lead bullet for something like $9.00 / 50 not accounting for the cost of dies and brass, which is usually left behind at my local range by shooters with more money than me and therefore costs me nothing... This is my first M14-pattern rifle and it won't be here for a few days, but I understand you can simply shut off the gas flow? If so, I'd do that when running straight pull low velocity plinking rounds. As for cast lead in gas operated weapons, as I understand it, most of the complications are a result of trying to push unjacketed bullets at high-velocity and fouling the gas tube / port by using unjacketed lead at such high pressures. With loads not designed to cycle the action loaded to say, 1250 FPS, I can't imagine that being an issue. But I am by no means an expert. I may be overlooking a major safety concern, which is half the reason I posted before monkeying around with undocumented loads.

i know nothing about this, but in the general sense it just doesn't sound like a viable option to me to enjoy it. To me, I want to use a rifle, or weapon in general, as it was designed. Meaning, leave single shot work to the bolt actions, and leave semi-auto work to the autoloaders. If you can't afford to purchase mass produced ammo, get into reloading and use widely known reloading supplies and save money that way.

I have a subsonic load for my 700 308 that probley would not cycle the action. I put 9.5 grains of trail boss behind a 150gr Serra round nose and it has an average velocity of 1000fps. So far just shot it at 50 yards to measure velocity but it will put them all in the same hole. Rifle is a 1 in 12 twist. Sounds like a 22 with no kick. I can put one through my M1A if you'd like to confirm that it wount cycle the action before you jump in and buy the supplies.

At any speed, it will deposit lead. Educate yourself before taking my word or anyone elses. You can use gas checks and other crap, but it ain't worth it for me.

If you swap back and forth between lead and jacketed, at any speed, the bore will need a good cleaning between switching bullet types. These two metals like to cling to each other. Any lead in the barrel, will attract copper,and vice versa.

I will also tell you that M1A don't need to be disassembled often either. Each time you remove it from the stock, it loosens the fit. "So don't over maintain it!"

If you shop around, you can find deals on jacketed .308 rounds. My advice again, is to educate yourself.

I have a subsonic load for my 700 308 that probley would not cycle the action. I put 9.5 grains of trail boss behind a 150gr Serra round nose and it has an average velocity of 1000fps. So far just shot it at 50 yards to measure velocity but it will put them all in the same hole. Rifle is a 1 in 12 twist. Sounds like a 22 with no kick. I can put one through my M1A if you'd like to confirm that it wount cycle the action before you jump in and buy the supplies.

That might be the ticket. Would you see how they function in your M1A and get back to me? I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom