• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Water Heater Failure----HELP

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
Bad day started at about 7:00Am when I jumped into the shower.... COLD WATER...
Damn I thought right away our 20 year old water heater failed. I found
out how it failed when I stepped in 2 inches of water in the downstairs rooms:mad:

I went in the utility room and saw the water heater puking it's guts out.
I tried to close the cold intake but the valve is all corroded. I tightened it
as much as I could but feared I'd break off the valve stem. So water is still
gurgling out. Then I went to what I believed was the house main valve.
Turns out that valve is just for the outdoor water spigots.:mad: I went to the
street opened the box for my water meter and I see no valve there. I cant
locate the main house cutoff:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I entered a claim with homeowners not sure what USAA will cover if anything.
I need a plumber to replace the water heater... Yeah I know it's not rocket science
but a 63 year old gimp would just be cussing and throwing pipe wrenches around

Any ideas how to get this water shut off? Any ODT plumbers???

Help.... I sinking....

Damn that sux brother. My only plumber quals are the occasional ass crack showing when bent over. :sad:

Its a pain in the ass but a good idea to cycle all your water valves every now and then and definitely know where your main water valve is located for times like these.

attach a garden hose to the tank drain spigot, run it out the house and open the drain valve. Outta slow the flow into the area a bit. You're bound to have a mainline valve somewhere on teh same line as your cold IN for the tank. Just close every valve you see.

The main water shut off should be right before the meter. It might be covered in mud and hard to see.

We just had Ben Franklin plumbers here, expansion tank burst last night, crawl space wet, not terrible, $263 later, fixed.

attach a garden hose to the tank drain spigot, run it out the house and open the drain valve. Outta slow the flow into the area a bit. You're bound to have a mainline valve somewhere on teh same line as your cold IN for the tank. Just close every valve you see.
Yep

Trying to get a plumber out now.. Callback... Still cant locate the main house cutoff (IN House) The box with the meter is covered with mud as GAGun said. Have to see if thats the only cutoff. I'd hope there is something inside.

Trying to get a plumber out now.. Callback... Still cant locate the main house cutoff (IN House) The box with the meter is covered with mud as GAGun said. Have to see if thats the only cutoff. I'd hope there is something inside.

If they will deal with you and it is not too much, have them install a whole house shut off for you while they are there (save another trip charge)

Back
Top Bottom