• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Water Heater Failure----HELP

DOnt let people freak you out about the poly pipe inside the house. Most plumbers wont touch it because they have little experience with it and its a PITA. Instead of changing all of your plumbing out, I would just install a new PRV to insure it is working correctly then lower the psi to 50-60 and it will be fine. If you have the blue polybutylene pipe out side I would put the new PRV out by the meter and that would lower the PSI inside and out. But I do recommend that your get the blue (if you have it) replaced. If you do get the outside re done, call a reputable irrigation contractor, it blows my mind on how much plumbers charge just to replace one pipe. It's one trench, driveway bore if needed and one pipe. They sometimes charge more the we do for an entire irrigation system.

The plumber just left. I'm counting the minutes until the water heats up. I need a shower bad :rolleyes: Lowes has seen the last of me. HD gets my business for now.
Funny thing, Lowes refused to do the work because of poly pipes. The plumber didnt even need to touch them. They whacked the copper pipe off at the tank, sweated new copper pipe in place, added an expansion tank and were done 1 hr work. The old tank burst looks as though it was shot by a 22 cal. 20 year old tank. Thanks for all the input and pointers!!!!

Last edited:
Good deal Shovel.

I was a bubblehead too, so I know all about going without a shower. The problem was that I was a nuke MM, so if the evaporator was broke, it was my frikin problem to fix!

Man! Sorry to hear about this. I was in Cumming today! Would have replaced it for you. If you need anything else, I'm gonna be back up there at the end of next week working on a school of cosmetology on Atlanta Highway.

I just sprayed coffee all over my screen.... I had an email from my insurance adjuster. This failed water heater fiasco....

Water Mitigation cost = $8123.00
Repairs construction cost = $12921.00
Replacement of my water heater = 867.19
My insurance deductible= $500
Having USAA as my insurance carrier = PRICELESS

Over $20,000 for a failed water heater......... Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main water shut off should be right before the meter. It might be covered in mud and hard to see.

We just had Ben Franklin plumbers here, expansion tank burst last night, crawl space wet, not terrible, $263 later, fixed.
Your avatar is simply awesome. :wof:

Back
Top Bottom