Well, Grebner had an accidental discharge. Check it out.

Wow. For me this illustrates the need to train consistently with the same control set. The switch from the thumb release holster with the Glock to the Blackhawk trigger finger release on the 1911 has GOT to lead to physical memory confusion. Quite some time ago I went completely to the Glock and Glock style(Kahr specifically) platforms. I have recently considered getting another 1911 to see if I liked it but this video makes me think I had a burst of wisdom in my decision to homogenize my weapons control and ergonomics style. I think I need to stay with consistency.

Glad this guy wasn't injured more seriously. I admire his courage in presenting this knowing that it would open him to disparaging comments from some. It has refreshed my attention on safety and has reminded me why I chose the weapon platform I did.

Yeah, good point... switching holsters, weapon (or weapon types) can lead to problems. In this case, it was both that led to badness.

Just so you guys know. This has even happened with Glocks. To ensure the draw, you have to put considerable pressure on the SERPA release. The faster the draw, the more likely it is to happen, thus it is the most experienced shooters that are most susceptible to it.

Last edited:
This is EXACTLY what I warned about in another thread yesterday! He was used to using a SERPA holster which requires that you put pressure on the trigger finger to release the weapon. Even though he was not using a SERPA at the time he was used to doing this. The second holster he shows is a SERPA. It's way to easy to slap that trigger as the weapon clears the holster. This has happened to several well respected and experienced shooters.

Thumbs up to the man for having the depth of character to help us all learn from his mistake.

Edit: I just watched it again and he WAS using the SERPA at the time. Classic SERPA AD/ND!

Watch the slow motion section again. You can see the exact moment his finger leaves the trigger guard and pulls the trigger, it happens well after the gun clears his holster. You can blame the holster if you'd like (even though he doesn't). I blame poor trigger discipline. The bottom line is your finger shouldnt be on the trigger! Its NOT easy to "slap" the trigger on the way out of the Serpa holster. I dont know about you but all of my pistols have a trigger guard, if you have ever used a Serpa you would know that you pretty much have to keep your finger straight to release the button. A straight finger doesnt slap anything, it rests on the trigger guard after the gun is drawn. A curved finger that might accidentally land on the trigger wouldnt be able to reach the button to release the pistol. This is just based on my observations and my fingers on a variety of my Serpa holsters with my pistols, so YMMV.

What really surprised me overall is that he took a .45 round at point blank range and didn't immediately keel over from hydrostatic shock and failing internal organs. Oh, right, it was a glancing shot ;)

Just so you guys know. This has even happened with Glocks. To ensure the draw, you have to put considerable pressure on the SERPA release. The faster the draw, the more likely it is to happen, thus it is the most experienced shooters that are most susceptible to it.

Like I said before, if you have ever used a Serpa you would know it doesnt take "considerable" pressure to release the mechanism. But YMMV once again, in my experiences with my holsters yadda yadda.

Like I said before, if you have ever used a Serpa you would know it doesnt take "considerable" pressure to release the mechanism. But YMMV once again, in my experiences with my holsters yadda yadda.

I agree. I have two of them and put blanks in my guns to see if I could make the AD/ND happen. What I found was that short fingered people are more likely to pull the trigger. My monkey fingers have yet come close.

Are you yadda yaddaing the Serpa holster? I too have owned a serpa and I never thought it took a lot of pressure to release it, but you do have to keep your finger straight so that it "falls down the side" of the trigger guard and not "into" the trigger guard.

Right, I was saying in my experiences, my fingers, my holsters yadda yadda, my keeping my finger straight keeps it off my trigger after the draw and allows me to press the button just fine. Its really not even a press, just pressure from my finger being there that releases the button. Thats how I have found my finger works with my particular serpa holster(s).

In fact, both of mine I currently own place my finger on the frame of the pistol after the draw instead of the trigger guard, and I remember one other I had was the same way. I think BH did enough research in the Serpa design to keep things like a ND due to the mechanism pacing your finger on the trigger a non-issue unless your finger was going to end up on the trigger anyway (due to your negligence).

1. Thread title is wrong, this was not an "accidental discharge" it was a negligent discharge. An accidental discharge is when a round is fired without having the trigger pulled. A negligent discharge is when the trigger is pulled when it should not have been pulled.

2. This is not a flaw in the holster design, this is a flaw in the individuals failure to follow the 4 basic rules of firearm safety.

3. The Blackhawk Serpa holster I have next to me requires significantly less force to depress the release then the 4 pounds of pull on my 1911's trigger. When released properly, i.e. with an extended index finger, the weapon comes out with the index finger outside of the trigger guard and still extended. Regardless of how much force I put on the release, even if for some idiotic reason I maintained that pressure after release, the only thing that force is doing after I draw is putting pressure on the frame right below the slide. It is not manipulating the trigger in any manner.

I gotta give him credit for posting that video so that we can all learn from it. That took courage.

When I open carry it is usually with a Glock 22 and a serpa, this video will def make me practice my draw more thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom