Well, Grebner had an accidental discharge. Check it out.

Watch the slow motion section again. You can see the exact moment his finger leaves the trigger guard and pulls the trigger, it happens well after the gun clears his holster. You can blame the holster if you'd like (even though he doesn't). I blame poor trigger discipline. The bottom line is your finger shouldnt be on the trigger! Its NOT easy to "slap" the trigger on the way out of the Serpa holster. I dont know about you but all of my pistols have a trigger guard, if you have ever used a Serpa you would know that you pretty much have to keep your finger straight to release the button. A straight finger doesnt slap anything, it rests on the trigger guard after the gun is drawn. A curved finger that might accidentally land on the trigger wouldnt be able to reach the button to release the pistol. This is just based on my observations and my fingers on a variety of my Serpa holsters with my pistols, so YMMV.

What really surprised me overall is that he took a .45 round at point blank range and didn't immediately keel over from hydrostatic shock and failing internal organs. Oh, right, it was a glancing shot ;)

I have used SERPAs several times and it may just be the way we are different in build. But, I'm 6'4" and have big hands and my finger has most definitely slapped the trigger coming out of the holster. The way I discovered that this was not an unusual problem is because I was concerned about it in the first place and did some research. In a tactical situation the last thing you need to be worrying about is how much pressure you put on the release or getting your finger to hit the guard rather than the trigger when you draw. As the man said, he has done this draw thousands of times without incident, but then it happened. It's one of those things that is just a matter of time before it happens because the basic design is flawed.

True true, I have never even thought about drawing my pistol with the intention of shooting anything but a practice target, and in that situation Murphy would definitely have his say in the matter Im sure. TBH this video did make me get up and take a really critical look at my main Serpa and, thinking of the video, it made me decide to do a LOT more practiced draws in a controlled, cold range environment. Drawing a pistol seems natural at 1/4 speed, but probably seems 100% foreign under real stress.

Doesnt blackhawk claim that they designed the serpra that way on purpose so that your finger would be down the side of the weapon as you draw? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

1. Thread title is wrong, this was not an "accidental discharge" it was a negligent discharge. An accidental discharge is when a round is fired without having the trigger pulled. A negligent discharge is when the trigger is pulled when it should not have been pulled.

2. This is not a flaw in the holster design, this is a flaw in the individuals failure to follow the 4 basic rules of firearm safety.

3. The Blackhawk Serpa holster I have next to me requires significantly less force to depress the release then the 4 pounds of pull on my 1911's trigger. When released properly, i.e. with an extended index finger, the weapon comes out with the index finger outside of the trigger guard and still extended. Regardless of how much force I put on the release, even if for some idiotic reason I maintained that pressure after release, the only thing that force is doing after I draw is putting pressure on the frame right below the slide. It is not manipulating the trigger in any manner.

Thank you so much for pointing out that very important piece of the thread. I will try most diligently to make sure my thread titles are correct in the future.

Doesnt blackhawk claim that they designed the serpra that way on purpose so that your finger would be down the side of the weapon as you draw? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

I dunno but this is why I always use leather holsters. No stupid button to grab no switching back and forth. Leather all the way.

I had a little accident myself the other week when rapid firing a 22 magnum revolver...I was quick drawing & shooting from the hip...a little blow by hit me in the stomach...it felt like a wasp sting...good thing I didn't have the gun near my face!

Thank you so much for pointing out that very important piece of the thread. I will try most diligently to make sure my thread titles are correct in the future.

Sorry, I have a huge pet-peeve with that phrase. It implies the weapon is at fault and not the individual or that there is no fault. While I may have heard of an actual accidental discharge due to manufacturing errors etc, I can't recall the last one. I do, however, recall many stories of negligent discharges.

Back
Top Bottom