• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are you buying on sale?

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I was talking to a guy I know who owns a investment firm and asked him how things were going. Told me things are going. The thing that stuck out the most in our conversation was he said its a great time to buy things on sale and went on to say its the only market where people shy away when things go on sale. When Belk has a sale women flock when ammo manufactures have a sale people flock. When stock prices drop people get concerned. For those buying stocks. What are you buying on sale?

Guy who’s whole business is to get you to buy in tells you to buy in….
True. I was simply talking to him in a restaurant. I was not in his office. Then again maybe he was trying to encourage me to become a client. That said there is still money to be made. Someone always makes money no matter the situation.

The 'someones' who are in a position to make money when other people are losing money tend to be people with connections and access to investment opportunities which you're not allowed to participate in.

The SEC (in the USA obviously) typically ensures that unless you have the kind of deep pockets that imply that you're a "sophisticated investor", that you cannot participate in investments such as options, short-selling and other derivitives because you're too ignorant to be allowed to do so either directly or indirectly.

So while every economic environment that will ever exist will create opportunities to make money, you and I are often excluded from them.

Edit: as K kayaker notes below, as a member of the public you can purchase options and *some* derivitives, but there are still guard rails in place to ensure that you can't do many of the things that the 'big boys' can do. Often, those latter strategies are where significant gains can be made in a down-market.

I take Warren Buffets advice. He said buy stocks in things you'd like to own. I usually buy into gun,ammo,outdoors some tech stuff. just things that appeal to me and I try to buy when things are trending down. Am I making a killing? No. But if you're patient it will build. Stocks are the long game.

I lost almost the whole $10K I was playing with. Now...I actually would have made money on almost every single pick...but I'm very good at buying something right before it drops and selling something right before it takes off.

I didn't stick to my plan.

My plan was to mainly buy and hold Tesla. I bought (9 shares) at $630, it dropped to $400, I waited and waited until it finally came back up and I sold at $740.

Well it went over $2K, split 5/1. And then split again later, 4/1 or something similar.

It was barely over $100 in January, went to $200 in 2 weeks. I think it's still around that mark? If I had the money, that's what I would buy and hold again.

Do I believe in electrification and all that? No. But I don't care about that, we're talking about making money.

The 'someones' who are in a position to make money when other people are losing money tend to be people with connections and access to investment opportunities which you're not allowed to participate in.

The SEC (in the USA obviously) typically ensures that unless you have the kind of deep pockets that imply that you're a "sophisticated investor", that you cannot participate in investments such as options, short-selling and other derivitives because you're too ignorant to be allowed to do so either directly or indirectly.

So while every economic environment that will ever exist will create opportunities to make money, you and I are often excluded from them.
Not true.
The common person can participate. They usually elect not to due to their own reasons.

Not true.
The common person can participate. They usually elect not to due to their own reasons.
I can participate in options, short selling but honestly I just dont get it and understand it enough to jump in. Sometimes you just have to admit what you dont get and Im just not smart enough.

Back
Top Bottom