• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What are you canning today?

If you look online for a presto canner you can choose the size you need. Then you can easily find a canning tool kit set. I got one on amazon for around $20 and it came with everything I needed. Wide mouth funnel, can grabber thingy, and little spatula with measuring slots to determine how much space to leave before the rim. All in I'm at less than $110. The jars are expensive but the lids aren't really and I hope to be rotating through jars soon enough so I expect that cost to level out.

All American canner are good to but much more expensive and after getting my presto don't think the extra expense is justified.

If you look online for a presto canner you can choose the size you need. Then you can easily find a canning tool kit set. I got one on amazon for around $20 and it came with everything I needed. Wide mouth funnel, can grabber thingy, and little spatula with measuring slots to determine how much space to leave before the rim. All in I'm at less than $110. The jars are expensive but the lids aren't really and I hope to be rotating through jars soon enough so I expect that cost to level out.

All American canner are good to but much more expensive and after getting my presto don't think the extra expense is justified.

What he said! That's all you need to get started.
The pressure cooker will come with recipes and instructions. Other recipes are available online.
Start asking around for jars and bands, the jars and bands are reusable.
Ask at work or church, neighbors and friends.
Most people will be glad to give them to you knowing you're going to put them to use.
If they aren't canning, the jars are just in the way. Yard sales are a good spot to look too.

The only thing you need new every time is the lid and they're really cheap.

Tell us about how you do the hot pickled okra. I jar peppers and make spicy bread and butter pickles but I want a good okra recipe that will make it spicy and keep it crispy.

Oh yeah this is a good one.
(It's kind of like eating a slim jim if you're beer drinking.)
It goes good with a lot of meals too.

So you cut the fresh small okra up in about 1/2" thick pieces.
Put one jalapeño pepper cut up into about 1/4" thick slices on the bottom of the jar.
Put in one chunk of a Vidalia onion with the jalapeño, then fill the jar with okra.
Cover it with hot boiling white vinegar, wipe the rim of the jar, put a lid on it and then screw the band on. Fill it within 1/2 of the top, don't fill the jar with Okra so much that it can't all be covered with the vinegar.
No need to water bath or pressure can, the vinegar does the job.
As it cools the lids will pop in and then you can remove the bands.
They're pretty crispy this way because they're not really cooked, though the hot vinegar softens them some.

By the way, always remove the bands before storing anything canned.
Or the bands will rust causing the lid to rust.
The bands aren't needed after the lids pop in, pressure holds the lids on.

Put one jalapeño pepper cut up into about 1/4" thick slices on the bottom of the jar.
Put in one chunk of a Vidalia onion with the jalapeño, then fill the jar with okra.
Cover it with hot boiling white vinegar, wipe the rim of the jar, put a lid on it and then screw the band on. Fill it within 1/2 of the top, don't fill the jar with Okra so much that it can't all be covered with the vinegar.
They're pretty crispy this way because they're not really cooked, though the hot vinegar softens them some.

Sounds good. Just plain white vinegar? No salt or water to dilute?

How long till they are ready to eat?

Back
Top Bottom