What are you reading? Good Books

Eugene B. Sledge's horrific account of his time as a Marine in the WWII Pacific front.

If you have seen the series "The Pacific" then you will be familiar with E.B. Sledge aka "Sledgehammer". However, the series doesn't even come close in my opinion to this book. It is hands down the best WWII book I have ever read and I've read a bunch of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Breed-At-Peleliu-Okinawa/dp/0195067142

One Second After, great book about small town life and trials after an EMP attack on the US.

Day by Day Armageddon, a little bit of a trash fiction type of a book, but its about zombies and guns and survival so I really enjoyed it :) Not too much to take away from it but a smile.

Both of these books were picked up and put down finished in a weekend, serious page turners.

About Face....Oddysey of an American Warrior by Col David Hackworth
Truly badass Soldier. He lied about his age and enlisted in the merchant marine at the end of WWII, joined the Army shortly after the war ended, got a battlefield commission in Korea. Served in Vietnam several times. 2 Distinguished Service Crosses, 10 Silver Stars, 4 Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, 7 Bronze Stars for Valor..one for Merit, 8 Purple Hearts, 33 Air Medals for achievement...1 for Valor, 4 Army Commendation Medals...1 for Valor, Army Good Conduct Medal, WWII Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal with Germany and Japan Clasps, 2 National Defense Service Medals, Korean Service Medal with 8 Campaigns, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with 2 Silver Service Stars, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Pacific War Zone Bar, Merchant Marine WWII Victory Medal, Vietnam Army Distinguished Service Order 2nd Class, Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with 2 Gold and 2 Silver Stars(only highest is worn..Gold Star), Vietnam Armed Forces Honor Medal 1st Class, Vietnam Staff Service Medal 1st Class, United Nations Service Medal for Korea, Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal with Device, Republic of Korea War Service Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, 2 Valorous Unit Awards, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation, Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with 3 Palm Leaves(only 1 to be worn), Republic of Vietnam Civil Actions Medal Unit Citation with 1 Palm Leaf, Combat Infantryman Badge with 1 Star representing 2 awards, Master Parachutist Badge, Army Staff Identification Badge, Vietnam Master Parachutist Badge. Whew what a list of decorations, his career was cut short by his refusal to conform to the "Army Machine" and public statements that the war would be lost if the military did not change tactics. He was right. Awesome Soldier, NCO, Officer, shame we don't have many like him anymore.

Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead "individualism vs. collectivism, not in politics but in men's souls." While Atlas Shrugged gets a lot of play, I enjoyed this much more. If you hate liberals, you'll love this book!

Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged the classic Capitalism story - Very long, kind of drags on in spots. I felt after all this long detailed setup the ending was pretty anti-climatic... I kept looking for the actual last chapter. I love the principles though. Can't wait for the movie ;)

These^^^^^

I just finished Fountainhead - started Atlas beginning of this week. Ayn Rand was a GENIUS

BTW - the first part of *the movie* Atlas Shrugged is already out. You missed it!!

Last edited:
I just got through with "Napoleon's Pyramids" by William Dietrich. It's about a likable hero surrounded by a cast of historical characters, riveting battle scenes, sexy women, mysteries of the pharaohs, and interesting math puzzles of the Pyramids. I found the book to be very enjoyable and tough to put down.

I envy you all... serious question... when do find the time to read..??? I suppose I have never been a "reader" and the answer to my qestion would probably be... "I make time". With my life as it is these days there never seems like enough hours in a day to get done what I want to get done.

I do try and read one book whenever I get the chance.. although it has taken me years to read it I still go back to it when ever I feel the need...

That book would be "The Bible"...

Outdoorsman1

I envy you all... serious question... when do find the time to read..??? I suppose I have never been a "reader" and the answer to my qestion would probably be... "I make time". With my life as it is these days there never seems like enough hours in a day to get done what I want to get done.

I do try and read one book whenever I get the chance.. although it has taken me years to read it I still go back to it when ever I feel the need...

Outdoorsman1

Good for you! Best book of all! I read it too.

Outdoorsman1

I am fond of audiobooks and listen to them on my commute to work (and when driving to meet far away people for gun deals! ;))

Back
Top Bottom