• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are your steps for field dressing or cleaning a deer?

I process my own too unless I want ground.
I've never gone in from the spine but sounds like a good idea to try.

I choot'em then if it isn't a bad drag I'll take the entire deer to the jeep and then home so I know everything is as clean as I want it. If the drag will suck I'll toss a rope over a sturdy branch, hang the deer from a T hanger (back legs up) and gut it there.
If I am cleaning in the woods then I'll skin the deer back to the side and cut off the excess to keep hair and ticks off the meat and then gut it out. I keep the liver and heart when available too.
If I am cleaning at home I hang it the same in my garage and skin it completely and off with the head and then I gut it.
Processing is a whole 'nother thing.

1.Shoot it
2.Cut around the but hole and then down about 4", Reach in and remove the bladder.
3.After removing the bladder ,I make my cut to thr breast bone and reach in and remove everything in one pull.
4. I keep a plastic bag with me because I keep the liver as its better than beef and alot more of it.
And carry it back to the truck.
5.Make my pre cuts for skinning, Around the neck ,chest , inside the legs.
6.Then place a rock under the base of the neck and tie off tight with a small rope.
7.Tie the head up in a tree, and the tie the rope that is around the rock to the hitch and drive off.
Skin comes off in one shot, makes for nice pelts too.
8. I dont use a processor because I butcher my own cuts.
9. And then I Eat It.
Now Im hungry!!

If you are a newbie I think this is the best way to start out. I will give the backstrap approach a try this year. Still considering the truck-tree approach.

on a serious note, i skin it first to keep hair from getting in the meat, then i gut it, then either quarter it or take it to the processor

- - - Updated - - -

Gee thanks!! I just spit tea on my tablet. I like this plan. I now know how I will be doing my deer this year.

lol

I prefer the flamethrower method... Make sure to have a squirt bottle full of liquid seasoning! :thumb: and the fire department on standby....

Back
Top Bottom