• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are your thoughts on or experiences with, the Remington RM 380?

Trigger on the current BGs didn’t bother me. The recoil did though. I’m not sure if there’s enough weight in the RM 380’s frame to make a difference, but I’ve been curious about those as well. I’d go Kahr MK9, CM9/PM9.

The PM9s are great little guns. Adventure Outdoors had a bunch of them as police trade ins for a pretty decent price.

In the 380 space the PMCM 380 is probably the best quality little 380 you will find out there. I don;t know if they have the lower-cost "CM" version of it though, and the PM 380 is pretty pricey.

Not sure where you would have heard that Kahrs had a rough trigger... it's actually the opposite. They do have a long, double-action trigger pull, but it's one of the smoothest triggers out there.

I had an LCP and currently have an LCP II. Both are good guns, but each had its pluses and minuses.

The original LCP had a ridiculously long trigger pull. I have I have fairly big hands and long fingers, so I had real problems with it. My trigger finger would jam into the base of my thumb before I could get the trigger far enough back to fire the gun.

I ended up selling that and buying the Kahr PM-380, since that worked a lot better for me. Even though it also had a long, DA only trigger, it broke a little sooner than on the LCP, and the ergonomics fit my hand better to boot.

The downside of the PM-380 was that it was a finicky little gun. It was definitely ammo sensitive, and Kahr wanted you to change out the recoil spring every few hundred rounds, then break it in again each time. I like shooting a self-defense pistol on a regular basis, so in the long run that really didn;t work. Plus, the changing the recoil spring was a real PITA. Unlike most guns, it took three hands and some real force to compress it down into it's space.

I ended up selling the PM-380 when I bought one of the police trade-in PM-9s from AO. That gun is just as good as the PM-380, but a little larger and a lot less finicky to deal with. It eats any 9mm I feed it and there's no weirdness about recoil springs and such. the only downside to it is that it's a little bigger than the LCP/PM-380 guns.

I should mention the sole reason I have this size gun is to keep in a pocket holster that mimics a wallet that I can use when I get gas or run into a store.

Unfortunately, when I'm wearing jeans (about 75% of the time) the PM-9 was just a little too long, and the back of the grip would peek over the top of the pocket. It probably wouldn't matter and I never had anyone notice, but 'concealed is concealed' and the whole point was to have it look like a wallet, not a gun.

So I retired the PM-9 and picked up an LCP II, which is what I use as a 'wallet gun' today. The II has a much shorter, crisper trigger. However you have more of a single action system and you don't have the long, double-action pull of the original LCP, which makes some people nervous. For me, the gun is in a holster 100% of the time, with the trigger safely covered, so I don't worry about it.

The LCP II is a nice little pistol though, and about as small as you can go for 'deep' concealment short of one of the little NAA 22 revolvers. There's a good selection of accessories for it as well, the main ones you might need being holsters and lasers. I haven't put a laser on mine yet, but may in the future, since sights on these guns are non-existent.

The II has been reliable with any kind of ball of SD ammo I've tried in it, and seems accurate enough for this class of pistol. There doesn't seem to be a schedule for replacing the recoil springs like Khar has, but I notice Wolff has both stock replacements and different weight springs to help you tune the gun to your ammo.

Haven't owned a Kahr, from what I learned while considering one
was that most liked the trigger but due to close tolerances a break
in period was necessary.
Same time the original LCP and Taurus Pt738 (TCP) were available.
Reviews mentioned the poor trigger on LCP and the grip felt awkward
in my hand. The TCP was slightly larger, long but smooth trigger, and
has the last round hold open which LCP did not. When LCPII came out
I was glad to see it w/the improvements but once again grip was uncomfy.
Finally landed on a TCP which has fold out wings at rear of slide. Those
provide a 2 finger T pull to rack the slide then fold flat before shooting.
At 10oz weight & small size it can be a bit snappy. Pearce mag extension
and pachmyer grip sleeve provide more grip & control.
Like it a lot more than it's replacement (Spectrum) and from reviews sounds
like I'm not the only one. Some new TCP apparently still out there but I
haven't seen any more with the fold out wings. The one with silver SS slide
& wings seems to be rare bird.

The original LCP was too small for my hand and the quality and accuracy was not impressive.
I switched to the Kahr and it was much better in quality, trigger, and accuracy but was hard to rack the slide.
I now have the RM380. Good quality, acceptable accuracy, and easy to rack the slide. 100% reliable so far.
The trigger pull is long and I have to practice with it so that I don't forget how different it is from other pistols.

Back
Top Bottom