• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did I do wrong?

Sounds like IF you properly resized the cases then you have a to long length of the finished bullet!--IE OAL.
occasionally a weird shape projectile will also cause this but MOST magnum rifle chambers have very tolerant chambers as to size as they head space on the magnum band on the rear of the case.
I would double check the OAL myself.

I've seen buckled shoulders from resizing with too much lube (causes hydraulic action in the sizing die and brass can't compress the lube, so the should gives.
Could be bullets not seated deep enough and they're hitting the rifling (a little less likely on a factory tube as they're usually throated long)
Too long of a case neck

When I load something new, I always drop each round in the chamber and observe how they sit/feed. For example, when loading 9mm, I use an extra pistol barrel to check that the rounds drop in freely and fully. Recently had an issue where the rounds went in the pistol barrel fine, but when fed in to my MP5 clone, the bullets were hitting the rifling.

Update
I pulled the bullets and tried the empty shell in rifle. Bolt still will not close. I measured the length of case and its .001 under size. I lubed case and ran it through resizing die. Placed it back in rifle and bolt still won't close.

Any other suggestions?

Update
I pulled the bullets and tried the empty shell in rifle. Bolt still will not close. I measured the length of case and its .001 under size. I lubed case and ran it through resizing die. Placed it back in rifle and bolt still won't close.

Any other suggestions?

If the die is screwed to the shell plate holder and backed off 1/4 turn then back it off less. If that fails you can remove 1/32" from the die base and it will allow the die to drop down farther in the press.

Who's dies are you using?

The other option is to contact the manufacturer of the die and speak to customer service.

I had the same experience as you with a RCBS .308 die. It did fine with my Remington rifles but Ruger for some reason rounds would not chamber-all the time. I shaved 1/32" of the base and tightened it down a tad more and the issue resolved.

ramdoc is right about moving the sizer down a it..1/8 turn on a standard due will move the shoulder are about .009. so backing up 1/4 turn is going to be around .018 which is a fair amount when dealing with headspace. try closing the die down in 1/8 turn increments.

you an set the dies up where it cams over on the top of the stroke... set the base of the die firm against the shell holder then lower the shell holder and turn the die 1/8- 1/4 turn farther.. this eliminate any slack in the setup.

Last edited:
I would check oal. Remove bolt and drop them in the chamber and look for rifle marks. If new dies and seater is not locked down oal will grow over 10 shells. Could explain why some fit and others will not. Just my 2 cts.

Back
Top Bottom