• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did I do wrong?

i have had u mill off the bottom of some of my redding dies to get them down far enough on the forster co ax shell holder to bump the shoulder of brass. did u get the headspace gauges?

I've had 2 situations loading for 30-06. 1st- Have a remington with a tight chamber that I know I have to watch out for any variations. Have no problems with factory brass but HXP marked brass has a little more spring back than factory I assume. The small highlight ridge just up from case head, will check .001-.0015 larger than factory brass, after running through sizer die with it set to touch shell holder and slightly cam over. Works fine in my other 30-06's but not this rifle. 2nd- Worked up some loads for my Savage and was having chambering problems. I felt stupid when I found a slight ridge on body diameter at point where shoulder angle starts. Checked some empty sized cases, no ridge. My seating die can be set for a crimp, on bullets with crimp ring. Loaded some dummy rounds to verify. Back up die 1/4 turn. Problem solved. Sierra Gamekings without cannelure, so die was pushing shoulder back causing slight ridge.

Did you check for maximum case length...sounds like the cases should of been trimmed. ...just a thought. Or possibly oal was a little to long, bullet hitting the forcing cone?

Just a little thing to consider different bullet mfg's have different shaped oglive shapes on the front of the nose of the bullets...

We had had this problem before means that the bullet has come in contact to the lands of the rifle most do not like that, and can cause problem closing the bolt.

just a suggestion...

Back
Top Bottom