• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did I do wrong?

I pulled the bullets and started over. They fit my rifle but the bolt is still difficult to close. Brass and overall length is in spec. I gave up and threw them in the trash.

I pulled the bullets and started over. They fit my rifle but the bolt is still difficult to close. Brass and overall length is in spec. I gave up and threw them in the trash.

If the bolt won't close properly on the round the shoulder is not far back enough. Yes other things can cause this but I highly doubt it. The chamber doesn't care about OAL, the magazine does. It's a shoulder/tight chamber issue.

If the full length resizing die is kissing the shell plate holder then the only other (cheap) option with that die and that rifle chamber is to mill/remove a few thousands of the base.

Or you can toss the fired in a larger chamber brass in the garbage...

I have personally dealt with this exact same issue in the 1980's with target/varmint rifles.

https://www.shootersforum.com/handloading-procedures-practices/47015-hard-shut-bolt.html

I do it old school, three too large cases 1/8-1/4 turns down on die until the bolt closes without hanging. It's good for that rifle and perhaps not others. Check the resized brass in several rifles as you tighten and some will need more or less resizing.

Why?

It's a SWAG but I suspect that when factories buy chamber reamers for the lines, they have a tolerance range. Reamers wear out so they pick a tolerance that will allow the tool to last longer and save money but accounts for the variation and issues re-loaders may incur.

Edit: New idea

Beer can? OMG that means you must drink beer in order to obtain the metal to use to shim the case in the shell plate. What a wonderful idea.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-340523.html
I have had to have a very thgin slice off the back of my lee pace setter fl resizing die for my 7mm 08. it seems my remmy model 7 has a very short cambre and the shoulder needs pushing back that tiny bit further on it's reloaded ammo.
HAVE A LOOK AT YOUR BRASS IF IT HAS MARKS ON THE SHOULDER WHERE IT HAS BEEN PUSHED BACK THEN THATS YOUR PROBLEM. this can be te,porarily fixed by puting a slice of beer can in your shell holder under the case. De prime first.

steve

Last edited:
Agreed!
anything that is machined has accepted industry standards as to variations from the exact measurements.
that includes dies, shell holders, chambers, cases, projectiles etc.
if you get enough different parts that are over spec (but acceptable) then you may have problems. generally changing to a different part solves the problem.
sometimes the planets just line up wrong.

well it's not a beer can but I have used feeler gauges to raise the case in the shell holder

actually used to do this on my benchrest cases to just set the shoulder back.

I believe it's Redding that has multiple shell holders of various heights( by .002) this allows you to set the shoulder back a bit at a time..

Back
Top Bottom