• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do you have that no one else does?

An old Alltell cell phone that ain't worth $2 but I will keep it forever. I went to a Friday Night Fights in Savannah at the civic center many years ago. At the time my mother and best friend were both battling terminal cancer. While there in between the matches Evander Holyfield walked down the isle right past me. Knowing that my best friend was a huge Holyfield fan, I would try to get him an autograph. I walked down to where he was greeting the fans. I fought my way through and finally got close enough to him to ask if he would please sign an autograph for my buddy that had terminal cancer. Holyfield told me that he did not sign autographs. Determined as I was I whipped out that old cell phone and dialed my best friends number and handed it to Holyfield and asked him, "would you please just hello to him"? He is a huge fan of yours. He smiled and said that he would be glad to. He took my phone and walked away from the crowd ignoring everyone else and talked to my buddy for at least 10 minutes. Like I said earlier, it ain't worth $2 to anyone, but it's worth it's weight in gold to me.

More metal than a Humvee and still shooting multi gun competitions
20150615_170933.jpg
20150615_171051.jpg
20150615_171105.jpg

So ONCE UPON A TIME there was this Airman who deployed to Iraq. He was a Power Production Journeyman and was given lots of tough tasks because he was pretty sharp with a multi-meter. One of those was to start a 4 MW power plant that had been down for about a year. Not that big of an issue, except there was not one work of english anywhere in that plant. EVERYTHING was in turkish. there were no translators available.
To see how the grid on this large base (that was previously one of Saddam's show bases) WAS connected, this Airman took it upon himself to do some research in the old power plant on base. The old power plant was one of the first casualties of the original invasion into iraq. A bunker buster was dropped though the exhaust (this is an armored power plant) and the plant was destroyed inside of its concrete shell. This was one of Sadam's best facilities. everything top of the line. there was at least 10ft of concrete protecting this place. for reference it would look something like this:

img.photobucket.com_albums_v390_ditch68_cedarbunker.jpg

Now the rumor was that there were a few gold bars and other items left on base in hidden rooms and such. There all always rumors in the military, and this one was mostly junior enlisted dreams when in Iraq. Well, mostly.

This power plant had been locked and sealed, this Airman gained entry for research. What was interesting was what he saw when he shined his surefire on the wall.
He found globs of metal on the wall from the bunker buster that had been liquified in the explosion and stuck to the walls like boogers. What was this super heavy glistening yellow metal substance that seemed to have melted way easier than all the steel in that room? The airman didnt know either. So, being the good man that he is, he buttstroked the **** out of it with his M16a2 until a big chunk about 4-5lbs fell off the wall.

He took it home for research tucked between his SAPI plates.

Or so the story says.

Last edited:
So ONCE UPON A TIME there was this Airman who deployed to Iraq. He was a Power Production Journeyman and was given lots of tough tasks because he was pretty sharp with a multi-meter. One of those was to start a 4 MW power plant that had been down for about a year. Not that big of an issue, except there was not one work of english anywhere in that plant. EVERYTHING was in turkish. there were no translators available.
To see how the grid on this large base (that was previously one of Saddam's show bases) WAS connected, this Airman took it upon himself to do some research in the old power plant on base. The old power plant was one of the first casualties of the original invasion into iraq. A bunker buster was dropped though the exhaust (this is an armored power plant) and the plant was destroyed inside of its concrete shell. This was one of Sadam's best facilities. everything top of the line. there was at least 10ft of concrete protecting this place. for reference it would look something like this:

img.photobucket.com_albums_v390_ditch68_cedarbunker.jpg

Now the rumor was that there were a few gold bars and other items left on base in hidden rooms and such. There all always rumors in the military, and this one was mostly junior enlisted dreams when in Iraq. Well, mostly.

This power plant had been locked and sealed, this Airman gained entry for research. What was interesting was what he saw when he shined his surefire on the wall.
He found globs of metal on the wall from the bunker buster that had been liquified in the explosion and stuck to the walls like boogers. What was this super heavy glistening yellow metal substance that seemed to have melted way easier than all the steel in that room? The airman didnt know either. So, being the good man that he is, he buttstroked the **** out of it with his M16a2 until a big chunk about 4-5lbs fell off the wall.

He took it home for research tucked between his SAPI plates.

Or so the story says.

Dang it. I thought this was the "folklore" thread. Sorry guys.

Somewhere (I can't find it) I have a large scale print of a photo taken in 1979. It is a photo of the space shuttle Enterprise mounted on the back of a 747 parked at Hartsfield airport. It was taken by one of a few, maybe the only photographer allowed close to it during its overnight stay in Atlanta.
Was it the Enterprise or Columbia? My dad took us to see it at Hartsfield after he saw it fly over his work in Stone Mountain. I have an actual picture or two of it at home somewhere that I showed my wife after the Columbia disintegrated. Yes I will try to find it and post it up. It was a pretty close up shot though granted it was through chain linked fence.

Back
Top Bottom