What does it take to build a 9mm AR?

KobraKydex

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
74   0
Reaction score
I'm really just wanting to know how hard it is to built a 9mm AR?

Can I just us a normal AR and just change the barrel, bolt, and mags?

Anybody know the process?

I want an AR to put my Ti-rant 9 on.

I was in your position in 2008. I looked at building my 9mm upper but it was actually cheaper to have Spikes build it to my specs (barrel length, thread size, rail type and length). I went with Spikes but there are several others.

I went AR 9 mm pistol to save another tax stamp.

The lower is a seperate issue and you can build this as cheap or cheaper than pre-made. The hammer needs to either be a 9mm hammer or a DPMS style AR-15 hammer (curved not notched-like Rock River). If you run the DPMS style hammer then ramp the bolt (an angled cut made to reduce stress on the lower). A heavy pistol type of buffer needs to be used and for a pistol a carbine or ACE pistol type buffer tube is fine. You can go really short like the shorty gun smoke tubes but it get's a bit more complicated.

Lastly you will need a magblock or a dedicated 9mm lower (costly!) and the dedicated 9mm limits you. The mag blocks vary from bottom to top of block installation. I picked a Rock River bottom block due to cost and ease to switch from 9mm to .223/5.56 quickly. The best value and quality 9mm mags are C-Products painted stainless steel 32 rounders. CDNN just had them on sale for less than $20.

With the DPMS style hammer and ramped 9mm bolt set-up you can drop the block with an allen wrench, pop the frame pins and toss your .223/5.56 pistol upper on to rock and load.

For 9mm suppressed try to keep the barrel short. Mine is 5 1/2 inches. My rail extends and protects the suppressor except the last inch or two. Longer carbine barrels (16+ inches) will increase velocity and you will go supersonic fairly easy.

Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
Thanks, I thank you hit the nail on the head. It does sound expensive. I thank ill put this one off for a later project. I really just want a Tactical style rifle to put my ti-rant on.

Back
Top Bottom