• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have you reloaded today?

Working on case prep for the 5.7x28. These are a royal pain in the a** to prep . The case is too small for trimmer & hand primer .

I been tossing them in a coffee can but dang if I want to mess with reloading the darn things. It's good thing I don't have anything that will shoot that round.

On side note, I averted disaster Thursday.

I was/have been reloading some .38 SPL 158 grain Lead Cast Semi-Wadcutter ammo that clocks about 820 FPS with an industrial type of powder similar to AA# 5. The powder is more coarse but it meters well enough. Twice Thursday my Dillon choked on a primer and I simply pulled it out of the seating position and properly primed it. After the second choke I repeated the same and as I tossed it in the reloading tray I felt something amiss.

I grab the tray with about 80 rounds in it and pulled the top round and it was a double charge. Pulled the rest and one more double charged case was about halfway down in the pile. Yes I was thinking about heading to range, what guns to take for my wife (she was joining me this past Thursday) but the bottom line is I became complacent.

Normally whenever anything out of sync, however minute occurs, I stop and double check myself. However I was concerning myself with gun selection and like my wife looking at shoes, walked off and left my purse so to speak.

I pulled the last 20 or so rounds today, reloaded them up correctly and knocked out a couple of more rounds after I broke my press down and lubed it up. Runs like a champ now. I still have a couple more boxes of lead to load up.....

i43.tinypic.com_s48ikk.jpg

i41.tinypic.com_24qs4lv.jpg

Couple hundred rounds of 300BLK. 5 grains of Unique behind a 150 grain FMJ. This load is for my suppressed bolt gun. It will not cycle the AR. It is quieter than a pellet rifle.

Well here is a range report from this mornings outing.

The first thing that I worked on was the subsonic 300 BLK

CONSTANTS
converted brass trimmed to 1.355 +/- .002
208gr Berger VLD bullets
CCI #41 primer
COAL- 2.240 +/- .002
Crimped

String 1 (10.9 gr IMR 4198)- 1050, 1005, 1027, 1037, 1050. avg= 1033.8 fps
- All rounds fired fine. Would not cycle next round, or lock bolt to the rear.

String 2 (10.6 gr IMR 4198)- 977, 1013, 979, 1001, NA. avg= 992.5 fps
- Same as above.

I think that I need to stick with the 10.9 grains, and see if there are any other ideas on how to get the rounds cycled. I did trim the buffer spring about 1.5", which allowed the rounds to chamber, but was not powerful enough to seat the bolt all the way, and would not chamber the first round of the magazine. I have a few spares so I think I will play around with that. Also I did not have any 10.9 left after I trimmed the spring.

Any other ideas?

Now on to the 9mm.

Took three separate loads with me. was running 124gr berry plated rn, titegroup powder, and cci small pistol primers. OAL was 1.090. And I have pics for this.
All fired at around 20 ft.

4.1gr
i43.tinypic.com_neuvk7.jpg

4.2 gr
i39.tinypic.com_2dbqdsk.jpg

4.3 gr
i40.tinypic.com_10o2s21.jpg

I think the better accuracy was the result of me settling down, and not so much the load.

All in all a productive day.

String 1 (10.9 gr IMR 4198)- 1050, 1005, 1027, 1037, 1050. avg= 1033.8 fps
- All rounds fired fine. Would not cycle next round, or lock bolt to the rear.

String 2 (10.6 gr IMR 4198)- 977, 1013, 979, 1001, NA. avg= 992.5 fps
- Same as above.

I think that I need to stick with the 10.9 grains, and see if there are any other ideas on how to get the rounds cycled...Any other ideas?

It's my understanding that 300BLK isn't designed to be fired subsonic, unsuppressed. From my reading and knowledge, it will only reliably cycle an AR action if the rifle is supressed.

Back
Top Bottom