• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

what is the best case lube

Don't laugh I use crisco. It's cheap and works better than anything else. I use it to stretch 30-06 and 270 necks out to 35 whelen. If I use lee or rcbs spray I have the necks split wide open

no you're not the only one to use imperial wax

best out there and it goes a LONG way for such a small amount

one shot makes a great release agent when bedding but that's it....IMHO

way too many stuck cases with it..

anhydrous lanolin and Castor oil make a great lube if you are into home made. we used this for bullet forming when I was making my own 308s years ago..

I use One Shot and have had no problems with it, also I have used it for about 20 or so years. I load from 100 to 1000 rounds at a time. The problem I think would be not using enough lube.
Also I let mine sit a few minutes before loading.

I also use it on my pistol cases in my Dillons. It make the job quicker and less work.

I'm very green to reloading, I have everything I need except primers,powder and bullets. I'v been tumbling all my brass to get it clean and look for bad cases before I lube them. My question is how do I tell if I have used too much lube, or too little lube. I know with too much I'll dent the cases and too little I'll get a stuck case, but other than that what is a way I can tell?

That recipe for the alcohol based spray lube is:

1 Pint of alcohol
2 tubes of the Lee Resizing Lube
Mix thoroughly

Just pile the brass in a gallon size freezer bag and spray them real good. Then shake, then spray again, then shake again and take em all out and line em up on the desk. The alcohol will dry very quickly leaving a very thin translucent film on the cases and on the inside of the neck.

I am going to reload a few on Tuesday, so I will let you know how it works for me.

The best case lube is a carbide sizing die.
After that, almost anything. I don't like One Shot or the Frankford Armory lube as they are heavy and cling to everthing. They work, but they aren't fun.
Lee's is very good and, if you use "just enough," you don't need to wash it off. If you are OCD, you can wash it off with a damp rag.
In general, the cost of cast lube is so low on a per round basis and they all work that it is more a question of what you want. Do you want to use a lube pad or spray? Do you want petroleum or water based? Would like to just buy anhydrous lanolin and use it for case lube and hand care?

Back
Top Bottom