• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

what is the best case lube

had to comment on the discussion on case lube. I've been reloading for years and got my first stuck case two nights ago. 280 remington brass in Lyman dies. It took me about an hour of fiddling to get it out, then about 20 minutes later I got another one stuck. The first one was from a newer lube pad w RCBS case lube, guess it didn't get enough on it. The second one was an older bottle of one shot. I sometimes switch around between those and Frankford Arsenal non aerosol spray lube. I just resized about 200 22 hornet cases using the FA lube and they were smooth as butter. maybe it just coats the brass a little better? i'll see. Previous to the 280 batch, I had just resized about 200 35 remington pieces before I did the 280 and no problems with that run using the pad.

RCBS case lube has been working well for me lately. I don't do alot of volume reloading though because I'm running a single stage press and mostly just reload handgun.

Lee makes carbide dies for rifle, BUT its a chore to work the press. After 20 my arms are worn out. Pistol is another story. I dont lube, trim, clean straightwall pistol brass

AH just looked chuckdog called me on the 308 carbide bottleneck dies. Since I have about 40 sets of dies mostly lee, i Assumed, yes the mother of all fups, they were lee. They are not! They are made by dillon. Appologies for leading you the wrong way guys

Last edited:
I found a "recipe" for making your own case lube that I made and tried last night and it works great.

1 part 99% rubbing alcohol to 4 parts pure lanolin. I bought the alcohol at my local grocery store and the lanolin at the health food/vitamin store. The lanolin comes in a 4 oz bottle and it seems to be about 2-3 times thicker than honey. I measured it out into a shot glass and it is tough to clean up due to it's thick consistency. The alcohol needs to be the 99% kind so that it won't absorb water from the atmosphere. This probably won't be too big a deal if kept in a airtight container but just the same the recipe called for the 99% kind.

I made about 14 ounces of lube and could still make probably another 4-6 ounces yet. Total cost was just under $9.00.

Back
Top Bottom