• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the dumbest thing you've seen/heard in a gun shop?

Saw a reporter come into a LGS to report on a gun story and wanted to have the camera pan over the different kinds of guns available for purchase. This was after Sandy Hook. I believe it was a local CBS station. Anyway, the store owner asked what the story was about and the reporter said gun ownership and different guns you can buy. The reporter looked at the rifle rack and the gun store owner said, "Do you know what the rifle is?" and the reporter said, "an assault rifle". The owner replied, "It's a S&W 15/22 22lr, do you know what a 22lr is?", reporter: "No", owner: "how can you do a story about guns and not know a thing about them?"... It got really quiet in that shop.

Went to gander mountain closing sale just to check out the guns. Guy behind the counter was trying to sell me on a HK. I told him I didn’t like the mag release. He told me that it’s not for everyone and that it’s “good for competitive shooters because it’s much faster than a traditional mag release.” He then goes on to tell me that he is a competitive shooter and how great he is. I tell him that I have shot quite a few matches and asked if he shoots USPSA. Him “uhhh... I shot one IDPA match”. His ego definitely dropped a few points. LOL

Adventure Outdoors- Asked the counter guy if they had a henry 22 with a threaded barrel. He argued with me a few minutes about how they don’t make one. Ordered it a few weeks later from LGS.

Local range- Was talking to sales guy about buying some parts for a 9mm AR build. He told me that it was a horrible idea and that I would never get it to run. Ended up buying Parts elsewhere.

Does being behind the sales counter automatically make you the most knowledgeable gun guy? I’m the first to admit that I don’t know everything. I guess if you can’t baffle them with brilliance then buffalo them with bull****.

Clerk at a store that used to advertise that it was the largest gun store in the Southeast. Told a little old lady that

(a) You can change gauges on a Mec shotshell reloader, and

(b) You could reload steel shot on a Mec shotshell reloader using the same components as lead, no problem.

I usually don't get involve in these conversations, I figure misinformation will come back to bit the store in the butt. In this case, some nice people had a very good possibility of getting hurt, so I waited until she moved on, then told her that the clerk was totally full of ****, and his advice could get her husband killed.

Maybe I am missing what you are saying, but you can change the gauge on a Mec 600jr loader. I have the dies to do it and have done so. Also, you can reload steel on a standard lead loader, you just have to adjust for the difference in amount/weight of steel shot that is dropped in lieu of lead or you use a steel shot bar.

Rosewood

Well guys, it is no surprise why many gun store clerks have no clue. I mean really, how do you make a living working a gun counter unless you own the place or you are lucky and have a wife that is the bankroller? Most are just salesmen. Occasionally you will find that hard core gun nut that retired from a much better paying job and works there just for fun and they can teach you a lot.

Rosewood

We all seem to get around the various gun shops to check out the new toys. What are some of the dumbest things you've heard from either a shop employee or a customer?

I was at the Army Navy Store in Stockbridge. A guy came out of the range holding his Bersa. He held it in his hand casually on its side and was looking down at it. He reached it out to Russ, the manager and said " it won't fire" and pulls the trigger while pointed at Russ. Russ snatched it away and pulled the slide back and ejected a live round.

Went to that range one time. Never went back. Too many sketchy-looking people playing with full-auto guns when I was there.

When I was a kid, early seventies, old timers would actually tell me the the round traveled in a upward arc before it started on the drop. It didn't take me long to debunk that theory.

That's what I was always told in the '60s. The rifling in the barrel making the bullet spin which would give it an upward arc when leaving the barrel. Made perfect sense to a doofus like me.

Back
Top Bottom