• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the dumbest thing you've seen/heard in a gun shop?

The concept that "your automobile is an extension of your home" has never been a part of Georgia law. It has never been articulated by any appellate court in Georgia. I haven't made an exhaustive search but it appears that is has never been articulated by any state court in any state.

In Georgia, you can carry a concealed weapon in your automobile without a permit because the legislature has passed a statute that says that you can carry a concealed weapon in your automobile without permit. The privilege of doing so has nothing to do with your home, your business or anything else other than an act of the legislature.

The right to carry a concealed weapon in your automobile without a permit is a very recent development in Georgia law. Before this amendment, you could carry a gun in plain sight, or concealed in a holster or other container.

During this restrictive period, you could carry a firearm in your home or your place of business without a permit. If your automobile is an "extension of your home" you would have been able to freely carry a firearm in your automobile, which you could not do at that time. The law books of the period are full of cases of citizens without permits being arrested for carrying a concealed weapon in their automobile. There are many interesting cases of how much of the gun has to be visible (usually under the seat) for the gun to not be "concealed."

So no one disputes that a citizen who is able to legally own a gun may have it anywhere in his automobile, at this time, but only because the legislature amended existing law to allow you to do so.

Just a personal peeve of mine that people keep on repeating "your automobile is an extension of your home" when it is not, and has never been the law in Georgia.

Ok, so I was correct that the language used is what you took issue with. That's cool, I get it.

But to say that it's a good thing for the member who posted about the situation that the officer didn't know what he was talking about seems to imply that the member here who have the example either could have or should have been in some sort of trouble legally; which would not be accurate.

Taken from a site Georgia weapons License and it's privileges." While the law stated that a gun must be in the trunk, glove box or in an enclosed box an can be carried in your home and business, the laws have been lax due to recent legislation. You can now treat your car as an extension of your home and can be carried anywhere in the vehicle ". This quote is taken from the site, ( Georgia Weapons License and it's privileges ). So in all reality it just depends on where you extract your information from.

I Do Not Have a Georgia Weapons License nor a reciprocal license. What Can I Do?

Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License nor a reciprocal license. Can I carry in my car?
A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.

Georgiacarry.org

Back
Top Bottom