• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the dumbest thing you've seen/heard in a gun shop?

I've got two similar stories.

Got stopped for no tag. That fact that I didn't have a back bumper wasn't a "clue" that maybe this was a work in progress. Truth it was my ratty old pickup, and cop needed to log in some cases.

Anyway, I had my registration, and explained to him that as soon as I got home and put on the new bumper, I would be displaying a tag.

So he asks me if I have any guns in the truck (before they changed the law allowing everyone to have a gun in their vehicle). So I'm a righteous citizen and a I say yes, I'll pull them out. Oh no, that won't work, I have to stand behind the truck while he searches the cab. So he finds my rather eclectic selection of guns, all holstered or cased as the law required at the time.

But Barney has to make these holstered weapons "safe", so he pulls out my Dan Wesson .445 with an 8 inch barrel, which weighs as much as a light rifle. Barney has never seen a Dan Wesson before. Barney can't figure out how to release the cylinder to make it "safe" - notwithstanding that a D/A revolver is the safest firearm there is.

So being the good citizen that I am, I offer to show him how to release the cylinder. Now I have affronted his manhood, and he tells me to stay behind the truck, he knows what he is doing. Being as he is waving this .445 all over the place trying to open it, I make a point of standing WAY behind the truck.

By this time a Sgt. has arrived, and we are chatting. Barney is still waving this monster pistol all over the place trying to open the cylinder. I explain to the Sgt. how you do it, he walks over takes the gun from Barney and opens it right up.

What the epilogue to this little episode is, there was a cap on the bed, and while Barney was making me stand behind the truck while he made my cab guns "safe", I was within arms reach of a fully loaded AR-15, and a fully loaded AK47 (both cased). During the whole episode, neither Barney or Sgt. thought to check the bed of the truck.

Second episode, I get stopped for another bogus tag violation. Barney jr. makes the stop. A senior police officer shows up. While Barney jr. is doing his paper work about 100 feet away at the cruiser, I show the SPO my 1911, (and now I have permit), tell him I am going to put it in my briefcase for safekeeping, and I'm going to take it home with me that way. Trying to be proactive so there are no misunderstandings.

So I get my paperwork, Barney jr. goes back to his cruiser, and the SPO obviously tells him that that guy had a loaded gun on his seat, and you never saw it or asked about. (Some much for me doing the right thing). Barney jr. already has his cruiser cranked up and ready to go, but now HIS manhood has be assaulted in front of his supervisor.

So he shuts down the cruiser, marches back to me, and wants to know if I have a gun. I tell him "yes, in my briefcase". He wants to see it. I am sitting on the tail gate of my truck (legal) and the SPO tells him I have a permit, which I have shown the SPO, but Barney jr. insists he has to make it safe. We go back and forth about (a) I am legally carrying my gun (vehicle AND a permit), and (b) the gun is in a closed briefcase, verified by the SPO, and couldn't possible be safer.

Soooooooo it comes to the point where the SPO asks me to just please let Barney jr. see the gun, so we all can go on. I was pissed by this time, but I really didn't want to have to deal with the bureaucracy, so I said o.k. (If I'd known a friend of mine was the watch commander that day, there would have been a different outcome).

So I hand Barney jr. my Star PD (compact 1911). I offer to clear it for him, but he's a Marine, he qualified on 1911's, he knows what he is doing. Well, apparently the Marines don't have left handed holsters, and I do. Barney jr. was trying to unsnap a left handed holster with his right hand, which is really hard to do, especially if you don't know what you are doing. In the process, Barney jr. covered me and the SPO with this cocked and locked .45 ACP and we both are dancing out of the way. He is just waving it all over the place trying to force the snap open, and being as it is going the wrong way, it just gets tighter. I'm trying not to laugh, the look of horror on the SPO's face is priceless.

Upshoot, Barney jr. finally gets the gun out of the holster, racks the slide, drops the magazine, and then starts haranguing me about my HP bullets being "cop killers" and there was no legitimate reason for a citizen to own them. Those comments resulted in a career change (for him). He was recording the whole episode,

Epilogue, so I am still sitting on the tailgate of my truck. Barney jr. has made my gun "safe" by racking the slide back, and dropping the magazine. He now hands me both, magazine and gun, turns around and walks back the 50 yards or so to his cruiser. I'm thinking what a total DA, because in less than 2 seconds I could have this gun in battery, and be shooting at his back. We went through this whole episode and it's clear that he was just trying to save face in front of the SPO.

And that's about all the fun I've had with LEO and guns.
Sounds like you need to keep your vehicles tagged properly.

I recently overheard a gun store employee tell a customer that it would be better to purchase a Glock 19 instead of a Glock 23. That even though it was ok to shoot 9mm in a Glock 23, he would get better accuracy with the Glock 19 and that later if he wanted to shoot 10mm in his 9mm, he could buy a lonewolf conversion barrel to go in it. The customer believed him and went on to ask questions about putting an RMR on the Glock. It got worse from there.

Back
Top Bottom