• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the dumbest thing you've seen/heard in a gun shop?

I was in a gun shop today after shooting Sporting Clays and there's this Black couple looking at a pistol, the women was holding the gun holding it up to her eye looking down the business end of barrel. :wacko:

Do you know of another way to check the bore of a pistol. I've got a bunch of pistols, and I've looked down the barrel of everyone of them before I bought it.

In fact that's that way I discovered my would of been brand new S&W revolver with no rifling. Somehow it left the factory with a smoothbore barrel. I wasn't smart enough to go ahead and buy it - I wanted a shooter, not a museum piece.

Oh, and it wasnt in a gun shop, but i got pulled over once because i was about to pass someone but then saw the very "police explorer headlight-esque front end" behind me and got back into my lane, but i guess the cop thought I was swerving (it was at 11:30 pm on a friday night) and i get oulled over for a suspected DUI. Probably two other cruisers join him. Realize my Makarov is in my passenger seat and didnt have time to put it in my glove box, so i set it on my dash. Cop walks up to my window and i hand him my DL and Carry Permit and he asks all of the normal questions, and if i had been drinking that night, or if i had taken any drugs. I answer no to everything and explain i was just about to pass the driver in front but stopped because I didn't want a speeding ticket and he starts to walk back to his cruiser, stops and grabs my Mak off of my dash, and tells me he will give it back shortly.

By the time everything is over and done with he nearly forgets to give my gun back, then starts to put it in my passenger seat, then apparently changes his mind and starts to put it in the duffle bag in my back seat. He fiddles with it for a solid 45 seconds until I ask him what he is doing.

He tells me: Im just trying to eject the "clip"

I tell him its an eastern europran style heel release

And then he racks the slide for some ungodly reason

i then tell him "no, its a heal release. The magazine release is at the base of the gun where the base of the magazine itself is."

He finally figures it out, but when i got home, there was a round in the chamber from where he racked the slide.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I've got two similar stories.

Got stopped for no tag. That fact that I didn't have a back bumper wasn't a "clue" that maybe this was a work in progress. Truth it was my ratty old pickup, and cop needed to log in some cases.

Anyway, I had my registration, and explained to him that as soon as I got home and put on the new bumper, I would be displaying a tag.

So he asks me if I have any guns in the truck (before they changed the law allowing everyone to have a gun in their vehicle). So I'm a righteous citizen and a I say yes, I'll pull them out. Oh no, that won't work, I have to stand behind the truck while he searches the cab. So he finds my rather eclectic selection of guns, all holstered or cased as the law required at the time.

But Barney has to make these holstered weapons "safe", so he pulls out my Dan Wesson .445 with an 8 inch barrel, which weighs as much as a light rifle. Barney has never seen a Dan Wesson before. Barney can't figure out how to release the cylinder to make it "safe" - notwithstanding that a D/A revolver is the safest firearm there is.

So being the good citizen that I am, I offer to show him how to release the cylinder. Now I have affronted his manhood, and he tells me to stay behind the truck, he knows what he is doing. Being as he is waving this .445 all over the place trying to open it, I make a point of standing WAY behind the truck.

By this time a Sgt. has arrived, and we are chatting. Barney is still waving this monster pistol all over the place trying to open the cylinder. I explain to the Sgt. how you do it, he walks over takes the gun from Barney and opens it right up.

What the epilogue to this little episode is, there was a cap on the bed, and while Barney was making me stand behind the truck while he made my cab guns "safe", I was within arms reach of a fully loaded AR-15, and a fully loaded AK47 (both cased). During the whole episode, neither Barney or Sgt. thought to check the bed of the truck.

Second episode, I get stopped for another bogus tag violation. Barney jr. makes the stop. A senior police officer shows up. While Barney jr. is doing his paper work about 100 feet away at the cruiser, I show the SPO my 1911, (and now I have permit), tell him I am going to put it in my briefcase for safekeeping, and I'm going to take it home with me that way. Trying to be proactive so there are no misunderstandings.

So I get my paperwork, Barney jr. goes back to his cruiser, and the SPO obviously tells him that that guy had a loaded gun on his seat, and you never saw it or asked about. (Some much for me doing the right thing). Barney jr. already has his cruiser cranked up and ready to go, but now HIS manhood has be assaulted in front of his supervisor.

So he shuts down the cruiser, marches back to me, and wants to know if I have a gun. I tell him "yes, in my briefcase". He wants to see it. I am sitting on the tail gate of my truck (legal) and the SPO tells him I have a permit, which I have shown the SPO, but Barney jr. insists he has to make it safe. We go back and forth about (a) I am legally carrying my gun (vehicle AND a permit), and (b) the gun is in a closed briefcase, verified by the SPO, and couldn't possible be safer.

Soooooooo it comes to the point where the SPO asks me to just please let Barney jr. see the gun, so we all can go on. I was pissed by this time, but I really didn't want to have to deal with the bureaucracy, so I said o.k. (If I'd known a friend of mine was the watch commander that day, there would have been a different outcome).

So I hand Barney jr. my Star PD (compact 1911). I offer to clear it for him, but he's a Marine, he qualified on 1911's, he knows what he is doing. Well, apparently the Marines don't have left handed holsters, and I do. Barney jr. was trying to unsnap a left handed holster with his right hand, which is really hard to do, especially if you don't know what you are doing. In the process, Barney jr. covered me and the SPO with this cocked and locked .45 ACP and we both are dancing out of the way. He is just waving it all over the place trying to force the snap open, and being as it is going the wrong way, it just gets tighter. I'm trying not to laugh, the look of horror on the SPO's face is priceless.

Upshoot, Barney jr. finally gets the gun out of the holster, racks the slide, drops the magazine, and then starts haranguing me about my HP bullets being "cop killers" and there was no legitimate reason for a citizen to own them. Those comments resulted in a career change (for him). He was recording the whole episode,

Epilogue, so I am still sitting on the tailgate of my truck. Barney jr. has made my gun "safe" by racking the slide back, and dropping the magazine. He now hands me both, magazine and gun, turns around and walks back the 50 yards or so to his cruiser. I'm thinking what a total DA, because in less than 2 seconds I could have this gun in battery, and be shooting at his back. We went through this whole episode and it's clear that he was just trying to save face in front of the SPO.

And that's about all the fun I've had with LEO and guns.

I ain't gonna lie. I won't keep ammo or mags in my house for any gun that I don't already own because I'll be tempted to go buy that type/caliber gun.

It's a sickness. LOL

Man I was gonna buy/build an AR9 so I bought a mag and some ammo on Friday. I don't own any other 9mm firearms. I figured it would be good motivation! Then yesterday I bought that Vietnam retro upper/parts so now I can't afford the 9mm build. I gave my 9mm stuff to my brother since he has an AR9. UGH!

What I want to know is why a guy on parole wants or needs a handgun. There is some up to no good business going on there. I wouldn't have sold a gun to them to save my sole. He looking to either shoot someone or hold up a joint and that's a fact. In the post from fast306stang.

I've been pulled over before here in the Kennesaw and Acworth area and reaching for my registration the gun became visible and I ask did he need to see my gun permit. He replied " no it is considered an extension of my home and is legal ". So all this making the gun safe and all that is really weird. Unless it's a county or city by city ordinance.

I've been pulled over before here in the Kennesaw and Acworth area and reaching for my registration the gun became visible and I ask did he need to see my gun permit. He replied " no it is considered an extension of my home and is legal ". So all this making the gun safe and all that is really weird. Unless it's a county or city by city ordinance.

Good for you that he didn't know what he was talking about.

That is not, and never has been the law in Georgia.

Good for you that he didn't know what he was talking about.

That is not, and never has been the law in Georgia.

Um....no the officer was correct.

Back
Top Bottom