• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Kind of Gun/Caliber are you using opening day of Gun/Deer Season

Remington model 710 in 7mm Rem Mag loaded with Berger 140 gr H-VLD bullets. Don't laugh, I shoot 3 shot, sub .5 MOA with this combo all the way to the back of Gunsite Hills. Hot or cold barrel don't even matter. Voodoo is ready!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Tradition Ruger M77 3006. First deer of each season must be harvested with this gift from the wifey many years ago. After that, play time with other guns including handguns. New toys for this season include BAR in 06, 7600 in 280 rem, 7400 in 270 and a custom Winchester 94 30/30 for open sights weekend. Good hunting to all. If I could figure out how to attach a picture I would.

Last edited:
For the 2014 season ... in a NEW rifle restricted area, im using a Savage 220F 20ga slug, 3" Remington accu tips, lookin thru Leupold S.A.B.R

I have been wondering about these Savage 20ga slug guns. I love the concept and you are the first person I have seen around here that has one. It seems to me a 20ga slug gun would be just about perfect for Ga...And a bolt action too...I have read that they are accurate as all get out and will shoot good groups at 200 yards.

Same as always I will be taking my .270 BAR topped with Redfield Revolution 3x9x40. Been hunting with this rifle for 26 years. This year I acquired (here on ODT) a BAR in .30/06 and I can't wait to try it out. I have always wanted another BAR in .30/06 so I am happy with my choices all around. Topped it off with a Redfield Revolution 3x9x50 and it drives tacks. I did not really need that much scope but I got a great deal on it so what the heck. Using Federal Premium Vital Shok 165 grain boat tail soft points.

Just went to the property last weekend and saw a lot of deer. It won't be long now, boys. Can't wait!

I have been wondering about these Savage 20ga slug guns. I love the concept and you are the first person I have seen around here that has one. It seems to me a 20ga slug gun would be just about perfect for Ga...And a bolt action too...I have read that they are accurate as all get out and will shoot good groups at 200 yards.

Same as always I will be taking my .270 BAR topped with Redfield Revolution 3x9x40. Been hunting with this rifle for 26 years. This year I acquired (here on ODT) a BAR in .30/06 and I can't wait to try it out. I have always wanted another BAR in .30/06 so I am happy with my choices all around. Topped it off with a Redfield Revolution 3x9x50 and it drives tacks. I did not really need that much scope but I got a great deal on it so what the heck. Using Federal Premium Vital Shok 165 grain boat tail soft points.

Just went to the property last weekend and saw a lot of deer. It won't be long now, boys. Can't wait!

I dont about 200 yds ? heck of a drop... i have read about a 168 yrd kill. i really like it out to 100yds.

I dont about 200 yds ? heck of a drop... i have read about a 168 yrd kill. i really like it out to 100yds.

Most shots in the Ga woods are 100 yards or less anyway. I can't imagine it being anything but lethal in the hardwoods. I have strongly considered purchasing one. Thanks for responding. Good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom