• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What shotgun for Dove?

I use a browning maxus in 12 ga I usually shoot skeet or improved early season,and switch to mod and full in late season.i normally shoot 7.5 or 8 shot.

A 12, 20, 16, etc are all going to shoot within a few hundred feet per second of each other, depending on the load, high brass, low brass, etc. The biggest difference is the size of the payload. I opt for a 12 or 20 so I am lobbing more shot up at them. Some folks get a limit with 28 gauge or .410.
I start with Skeet 2 or Mod choke until the birds get the jist of things and start flying over the field really high. I then go to Full or X full and knock them down from the nose bleed heights.
My Son will be shooting his .410, this will be his first dove shoot ever.

A 12, 20, 16, etc are all going to shoot within a few hundred feet per second of each other, depending on the load, high brass, low brass, etc. The biggest difference is the size of the payload. I opt for a 12 or 20 so I am lobbing more shot up at them. Some folks get a limit with 28 gauge or .410.
I start with Skeet 2 or Mod choke until the birds get the jist of things and start flying over the field really high. I then go to Full or X full and knock them down from the nose bleed heights.
My Son will be shooting his .410, this will be his first dove shoot ever.
I have a .410 Im hoping to let my son shoot. We let him shoot one the other day and it got his attention. I think he will enjoy.

I am curious what gun you guys will be shooting for dove season? I have not been in years but this year my son is interested so looks like we will be going. I have to wait on the doctor to release me but hopefully that will happen on Monday.
What gun do yall take to the field? Do you shoot 12, 20, 16, 410? Semi, over under or pump? Just some gun you bought or an old friend or gun with special meaning? Which choke do you use?
28 ga Browning Citori. Up until a couple years ago, I used an old Belgian Sweet 16 or an Ithaca M37 pump 16 ga.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I'm taking a yet to be fired by me Hatfield SAS 12 ga. Just call me a risk taker, I'm either gonna have a lot of fun missing a few birds or have a lot of fun watching everybody else miss a few birds............

If my doctor will ok me to shoot birds next week. I will be using a Remington Model 11 20 ga that belonged to my dad. It will be the first time my son and I have gone together so taking Pops gun will add to the day.

When I was a kid, I shot doves with my dad's Mod 11, which was my granddads.
My dad gave it to me, but I don't shoot doves with it anymore.
I shoot a Browning BPS, mod, #6 if I can find them.
I love a pump gun.

Back
Top Bottom