• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What shotgun for Dove?

Whichever one you shoot well and swings the most reliably for you.

I've gone through several, but I think the BPS I have now is going to do the job.

LOP makes a lot difference in you accurately shooting a shotgun.

A nice recoil pad helps.

I've gone through several, but I think the BPS I have now is going to do the job.

LOP makes a lot difference in you accurately shooting a shotgun.

A nice recoil pad helps.
Like BanjoJohn BanjoJohn , I have used several; actually, more than several.
Therefore, I pronounce myself an ODT shotgun expert.

With that established, let me say this:
I shoot each one with as much inaccuracy (but enthusiasm) as the other :)

I never noticed much of a difference in recoil between low-brass, small-birdshot loads in 12 gauge vs. 20 gauge. With waterfowl or turkey loads, slugs, or buckshot, sure-- there's a big difference. Not so much with dove loads, or trap and skeet loads. But then, I've always bought "game" loads, with pellet muzzle velocities in the ballpark of 1200 or 1300 feet per second. Why? Because that's what I typically find on sale, cheap, in big box stores.

That being said, I just picked up some low recoil 20 gauge shells from Winchester. They're low recoil target loads. 7/8 of an ounce of #8 shot at a muzzle velocity of only 970 feet/ second. That ought to be nice and mild, but plenty lethal to doves. They cost more ($8 per box instead of $5), but I want to give them a try, and I know some recoil-sensitive people who may want to borrow my 20 ga. shotgun that would appreciate them, too.

If you miss them with a 20 you would have missed them with the 12.

A 16ga kicks like a 12 pattern likes a 20 and cost triple.

These are wise words from my wise grandpa. He would take 1 box of shells to a dove field get his 12 bird limit, and have shells left over. This apple fell far from the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom