what the hell is up with needing to know "round count"

For me, I like to know the condition of the gun I'm going to spend hard earned money on. You buy a car, you want to know the miles, you take a girl home one night, you want to investigate the " mileage " and the same with guns. Knowing the rd count can give you a few chips when offering a price you're willing to pay. Too many people on here list their Gen3 Glocks on here with 500+ rds through them for $500 bc they have Glock night sights and a holster. To me that gun is lucky to fetch $450 and me personally would find it tough to pay anymore that $400.01 and a box of tacos.

I sold an old German mauser.
And was asked more than once by the rocket scientist What the round count was on this 80 year old weapon.
I'm only 53 years old , so how the **** am I to know that dip wad?

Wow, so based on this thread:

(1) What does it matter because nobody will tell the truth;
(2) Some people care, state legitimate reasons as to why and may or may not have other underlying meanings as to why they are asking the question;
(3) Those that don't care get downright feisty about it when asked.

Roger that...

I sold an old German mauser.
And was asked more than once by the rocket scientist What the round count was on this 80 year old weapon.
I'm only 53 years old , so how the **** am I to know that dip wad?

I'm still laughing at this!!!!!

To me, the round count is only important on certain types of weapons, like was stated in the original. The most important thing to me is... were the 200+ rounds, or 2000+ rounds shot without problems? I have a Glock 23 that has at least 5000 put down range, and it is flawless in it's action. On the other hand, I have a taurus that I would never trade on here, because it has feeding problems, and it has only 100 at most down range.

i always ask for an estimate of the round count usually if its not specified

i want to know if the barrel is shot out or if the gun is well worn

It just helps to understand usage.. There are cars with 45 thousand miles that need to be in the scrap yard... Then there are others with 300 thousand+ That you could drive to Alaska with no worries....

IMHO someone telling you the "round count" means nothing. How can it really be known, unless your buying it from the anal-retentive original owner?
I think it only came about when the trend of heading to the range to burn through as many rounds as possible came into fashion. It is something that I hear from semi-auto fans much more than revolver fans.

The condition of the item can only be known by inspection. If your going to do the inspection anyway, some number tossed out really means nothing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom