what the hell is up with needing to know "round count"

Dude..You live in Smyrna Ga. The ONLY thing you need to be worried about with any Glock is the condition of the frame, whether it's been mutilated with a soldering iron or not. To you, every Glock is like new because if it isn't, just march it on down the street and Glock will make it new again for free.
Yea. It has it's benefits. They've been charging though. Don't do as much for free as they used to

Good points but it's an imperfect gauge at value. 500 rounds to some is a lot. In your analogy, it might take you 5 years to shoot 500. I usually like to know age (casing date if there is one), round count (approximation), and condition based upon pictures and inspection.

In most cases round count is a solid gauge of relative value. If I'm shopping Glocks, I will likely have a choice among 5 or more identical guns, most of which will be priced within 10% of the others. A high round count Glock may not be 'shot out' but the lower count gun may still be the better value.

For some people it matters, for some it doesn't. What's the problem?
I don't know the exact round count of anything I own but have a real fair estimate on most and if I buy something I ask. If it's been used in weekly IPSC matches for 30 years I'm probably going to pass, but that's just me.
Doc: "Mr. GeauxLSU we have your heart ready for your transplant."
Me: "How old was the donor?"
Doc: "Who cares?"
Me: :suspicious:

For some people it matters, for some it doesn't. What's the problem?
I don't know the exact round count of anything I own but have a real fair estimate on most and if I buy something I ask. If it's been used in weekly IPSC matches for 30 years I'm probably going to pass, but that's just me.
Doc: "Mr. GeauxLSU we have your heart ready for your transplant."
Me: "How old was the donor?"
Doc: "Who cares?"
Me: :suspicious:
Lol...the heart transplant had me laughing

I think for some people its not a worry about being shot too much, but not being shot enough and broken in. Wanting to know how many rounds you need to put into a gun before you are willing to trust it in a daily carry situation. A gun that has never been shot may need 500 hundred rounds or more put through it before carry, while a used gun with 500+ may only need a couple hundred before its trustworthy. Now I know there are those out there that say "you should put 500 rounds through it no matter what the seller says", and for the most part you are right, but Im mostly poor and cant afford that much ammo right now.....errr I mean Im a cheap bast and don't want to shoot through some of my supply.

So if I had a gun that looked pristine, but had over 1000rds thought it, would you prefer I sell it to you as LNIB, not give you a rd count and ask for 90% of retail?

If you had any piece in a condition that satisfied me at an agreeable price. It would not matter to me if you said it had 10 or 1000 rounds through it.
However I'm not going to pay 90% retail for any used firearm.

This may be where I am most disconnected from the "round count" question. I do not look to buy used to save a few dollars of of new. I buy used if it is not available new, and if I have to have it, I have to have it. ;)

Still anyone asking round-count on a piece 10 yrs or older, or three or more owners, is fooling themselves.

Last edited:
If you had any piece in a condition that satisfied me at an agreeable price. It would not matter to me if you said it had 10 or 1000 rounds through it.
However I'm not going to pay 90% retail for any used firearm.

This may be where I am most disconnected from the "round count" question. I do not look to buy used to save a few dollars of of new. I buy used if it is not available new, and if I have to have it, I have to have it. ;)

Still anyone asking round-count on a piece 10 yrs or older, or three or more owners, is fooling themselves.
That's my whole point, I was just using that as an example. Knowing the apprx rd count can give a buyer an idea of what he/she thinks the gun is worth. I believe in being honest and telling people roughly how many rounds the gun has through it and understand I am not going to get retain not would I advertise it as such. The same cannot be said for others and that's why knowing the apprx rd count can be helpful

Back
Top Bottom