what the hell is up with needing to know "round count"

IMHO someone telling you the "round count" means nothing. How can it really be known, unless your buying it from the anal-retentive original owner?
I think it only came about when the trend of heading to the range to burn through as many rounds as possible came into fashion. It is something that I hear from semi-auto fans much more than revolver fans.

The condition of the item can only be known by inspection. If your going to do the inspection anyway, some number tossed out really means nothing.
So if I had a gun that looked pristine, but had over 1000rds thought it, would you prefer I sell it to you as LNIB, not give you a rd count and ask for 90% of retail?

Last edited:
So if I had a gun that looked pristine, but had over 1000rds thought it, would you prefer I sell it to you as LNIB and ask for 90% of retail?

You bring up a good point here. In reality, you'll probably never shoot out a pistol barrel but round count to me gives me an idea to gauge the price I'll offer someone. If you don't carry a gun and shoot it at the range, it will probably look pristine after many thousands of rounds. That gun shouldn't be worth new retail just because it looks nice. My opinion of course.

You bring up a good point here. In reality, you'll probably never shoot out a pistol barrel but round count to me gives me an idea to gauge the price I'll offer someone. If you don't carry a gun and shoot it at the range, it will probably look pristine after many thousands of rounds. That gun shouldn't be worth new retail just because it looks nice. My opinion of course.
Exactly.

For me, I like to know the condition of the gun I'm going to spend hard earned money on. You buy a car, you want to know the miles, you take a girl home one night, you want to investigate the " mileage " and the same with guns. Knowing the rd count can give you a few chips when offering a price you're willing to pay. Too many people on here list their Gen3 Glocks on here with 500+ rds through them for $500 bc they have Glock night sights and a holster. To me that gun is lucky to fetch $450 and me personally would find it tough to pay anymore that $400.01 and a box of tacos.

wow really? You think 500 rounds puts a dent in the life expectancy of a pistol barrel? You must be a Taurus man :doh:

I have enough guns in my collection that none get shot very often...while here anyway. Can't really speak for or blindly trust what I was told...or even remember what if anything I was told. It may be a year or two between firings. I guess I need to start carving marks in the stocks or grips to keep up with the round count so they can hold the value? It's really not that hard to look down the bore and check the condition of the rifling and crown. What cracks me up...all the never fired SKSs and Mosins LOL...Are you kidding me? Most of those barrels have been through at least half a dozen wars. But pulling them off and sticking them on one that doesn't have a busted up stock ("re-arsenal) and then packing it in cosmoline makes it all brand new again! Yet they shoot and shoot well. Kinda makes that whole 500 round count out of a Glock thing sound silly now doesn't it?

wow really? You think 500 rounds puts a dent in the life expectancy of a pistol barrel? You must be a Taurus man :doh:

I have enough guns in my collection that none get shot very often...while here anyway. Can't really speak for or blindly trust what I was told...or even remember what if anything I was told. It may be a year or two between firings. I guess I need to start carving marks in the stocks or grips to keep up with the round count so they can hold the value? It's really not that hard to look down the bore and check the condition of the rifling and crown. What cracks me up...all the never fired SKSs and Mosins LOL...Are you kidding me? Most of those barrels have been through at least half a dozen wars. But pulling them off and sticking them on one that doesn't have a busted up stock ("re-arsenal) and then packing it in cosmoline makes it all brand new again! Yet they shoot and shoot well. Kinda makes that whole 500 round count out of a Glock thing sound silly now doesn't it?
not once a did I mention anything about rds effecting the life expectancy of the gun or barrel for that matter. Where exactly did you read that? However, what I did say was it effects the value. A used gun doesn't/shouldn't fetch a NIB price IMHO. If somebody is willing to pay $500 for a used Gen 3 Glock, more power to the seller. I'm just not that guy

Last edited:

Good points but it's an imperfect gauge at value. 500 rounds to some is a lot. In your analogy, it might take you 5 years to shoot 500. I usually like to know age (casing date if there is one), round count (approximation), and condition based upon pictures and inspection.

I don't care if it's never been fired. It loses value once it is "preowned". If it's close enough to the new price, I just go buy a new gun. Unless of course, the gun is no longer manufactured new. And in a LOT of cases, guns that are no longer available new are valued higher than what they were when they were sold new. And even those that are still available new often have older versions that are more valuable than the new versions like series 70 Colts or Pre 64 Winchesters etc.

I suspect any "round count" as a made up number or estimate to be taken with a grain of salt. For the life of me, I can't imagine anyone counting and recording the number of rounds fired during a range visit or in my case, a back deck visit.

I don't care if it's never been fired. It loses value once it is "preowned". If it's close enough to the new price, I just go buy a new gun. Unless of course, the gun is no longer manufactured new. And in a LOT of cases, guns that are no longer available new are valued higher than what they were when they were sold new. And even those that are still available new often have older versions that are more valuable than the new versions like series 70 Colts or Pre 64 Winchesters etc.

I suspect any "round count" as a made up number or estimate to be taken with a grain of salt. For the life of me, I can't imagine anyone counting and recording the number of rounds fired during a range visit or in my case, a back deck visit.
well we aren't exactly talking about vintage or 1911 series 70 colts are we? We are talking about a Glock that is mass produced and prob in 50% of gun owners homes world wide. Glock is in no means a collector or vintage type pistol that will bring a premium prices unless somebody just has to have one in FDE or something cosmetic along those lines. None the less, I referenced nothing about 500 rds effecting the life expectancy, nor do I believe a used Glock will or should retain 90% of it's retail value when it is mass produced.

Last edited:
well we aren't exactly talking about vintage 1911 series 70 colts are we? We are talking about a Glock that is mass produced and prob in 50% of gun owners homes world wide. Glock is in no means a collector or vintage type pistol that will bring a premium prices unless somebody just has to have one in FDE or something cosmetic along those lines. None the less, I referenced nothing about 500 rds effecting the life expectancy, nor do I believe a used Glock will or should retain 90% of it's retail value when it is mass produced.

Dude..You live in Smyrna Ga. The ONLY thing you need to be worried about with any Glock is the condition of the frame, whether it's been mutilated with a soldering iron or not. To you, every Glock is like new because if it isn't, just march it on down the street and Glock will make it new again for free.

Back
Top Bottom