What's a Caliber, or Cartridge Name?

For some reason America has had to dumb measurements down. One American one metric. I still know mechanics that won't work on newer cars because they can't navigate the metric system. That being said there actually half the number of wrenches for any one given length. Like 1 inch. 10 American wrenches for four metric. That's a real stumper. We have used the so called caliber and year it was adopted as the name for the cartridge. Like the 30-06, 30 caliber put into military service in 1906. Thus 30 caliber, year of 06. It hard for this country to go from one measurement system to the other. You might have covered this in your original post. When it comes to old timers you can forget it. I wish we would go to the metric system. Having to have two of every type of tool is a pain in the ass. Same with ammo. Just one system of identification would be a lot easier. To make long rant short, I agree!

We can't even get the caliber name correct. The 30-06 was made in 1903. It didn't get the 06 part untill the military adopted on 1906. All sorts of bastardization of rounds have taken place over all those years. That's the one thing the Russians are stable with. There guns and ammo.

Just like the original German 8 x 57 Mauser round got "tweaked" a few years after it was introduced.
The bullet was reshaped to be more streamlined and pointed, reduced in weight a bit for higher velocity, and reduced in diameter a few thousands of an inch. Yet, the main name wasn't changed-- just a suffix "JS" was added to the newer ammo.

No, 30 -03 was adapted in 1903 -- 220gr bullet and slightly longer case -
30 -06 with lighter bullet and shorter case adapted 1906 ==
most existing 1903 rifles had barrels set back and rechambered -
Interesting. I read long, long ago. I was close but that only counts is horseshoes and hand grenades.

Back
Top Bottom