• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's the point of a silencer on a 5.56x45 AR 15?

Also suppressing anything, including the 5.56, is just making something that's really loud... loud. Still need ears. I'd say as above poster, the flash suppression is the main goal.
I was shooting with a buddy at GA gun club on their 100 yard indoor range. Dude a cpl lanes over asked me if I was shooting a shorty 22lr...was shooting my 11.5" suppressed AR. Do you need ears...yes. kills the concussion and flash though. It makes a 556 gun a lot more pleasant to shoot.

And no, a suppressor doesn't make a 556 gas gun sound like a 22lr...but it is a lot less loud...def not quiet.

Touch a 556 off in a hallway or stairwell. You will want a can. The only downside is 3/4 lb of extra weight and I guess compensator/brakes do a better job keeping the pointy end in the right direction.
Touched one off in a truck once. DINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I got news for you shooting a 249 behind a chicken plate sucks ass. The muzzle barely clears the plate and most of the sound is reflected backwards.

turret.png

I use a suppressor on everything now. My right ear was damaged years ago in an explosion and can't stand loud noises anymore. Using a suppressor that cuts the DBs from 165 to 135 and good earplugs drop it another 35 and your down to 100 db and if I want to drop it more I'll put on earmuffs. When I use earplugs and suppressor I can hear the buffer spring over the gunshot.

Back
Top Bottom