• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats up with Moog ball joints?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Ive heard rumors that Moog quality is not what it to be especially with ball joints

I really wanted to put Spicer ball joints on my XJ Jeep but nobody carries them in any of the main or mom and pop auto stores so I opted for Moog since they were the best anyone had.

My mistake.

The upper ball joint taper leaves a gap about 3/4” between the joint and the knuckle .
The factory gap is maybe 1/4” and that his taken up by the grease boot.
So I took a test drive and sure enough the upper joint is stressed due to this firms that and was popping when in gear and rocking from drive to reverse then braking and some popping while normal driving.

I double and triple checked the part humber and application and read several reviews where people complained of this same issue.
In all cases everyone recommended the Spicer joints.

I’ll be ordering a set.
Luckily I only installed the drivers side and can return the other two joints I did not use.

Ive also heard that those moog joints are only good for a few thousand miles before they’re toast.
Weird.

^^^this^^^
Take a close,up pic of the install and request a full refund. Your receipt will show the part number matches vehicle fitment. No excuse for sloppy fit and very dangerous.

I still buy moug control arms, Pittman and idler arms.
They have 2 styles of balljoints, one is more OE and the other is a little beefier thats called problem solved. The problem solvers don't seem to fit perfectly but I've not had any to bust. Timken is what I try to use but I'm hearing some people say CR is just as good.

Back
Top Bottom