• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's your favorite way to cook squirrel?

Throw 4 or 5 squirrels in a crock pot.(skinned and cleaned)
Add a Couple cans of chicken broth and water to cover the meat, add spice and hot sauce to taste.
Turn on low for a couple hours. Pull squirrels out clean meat off the bone, put meat back in pot. Turn on high. Get a can of biscuits, tear off little chunks and throw in.
Squirrel and dumplins.

Man those are some great recipes, I'm a squirrel and dumpling guy myself.
An old man from Alabama showed me how to clean them easily, what a difference that made!

I like them, they don't eat trash, they're eating high protein stuff.
Dodging the dairy and the gluten makes it tough for the OP, so no dumplings for them.....

You can pretty much use the meat any way you would use chicken.
An old friend use to make squirrel chow mein, lol, that was great!
Pretty much it's just the crock pot till it comes off the bones easily, then do anything you wish.

I also had them sorta browned up in a cast iron frying pan with a little oil, once they were browned some small potatoes, onions and carrots were put in with a little bit of red wine and salt and pepper.
Those all got eaten too. Wish I'd have paid better attention to that recipe.....

I soak mine in saltwater overnight.

Cut it up ,roll n flour ,salt & pepper, brown it on both sides, turn the heat down low ,cover it with a lid , cook till tender.

Cook rice ,make gravy ,cook biskets .... Mmmmmmmmmm

squirrel.jpg

With dumplings is the best but def has gluten. Best squirrel I ever ate was a couple of days into a camping/hunting trip where we took only staples, flour, salt, bacon, and relied on what we killed. Parboiled, fried in bacon grease, if I hadn't shot him I was going to parboil and fry my moccasins.

With dumplings is the best but def has gluten. Best squirrel I ever ate was a couple of days into a camping/hunting trip where we took only staples, flour, salt, bacon, and relied on what we killed. Parboiled, fried in bacon grease, if I hadn't shot him I was going to parboil and fry my moccasins.

Ho ho ho, I know that feeling, went camping and counted on trout for a dinner, learned to have a backup plan whether anyone else knew it or not!

Back
Top Bottom