• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's your favorite way to cook squirrel?

Alright, first off you should brine the meat in salt water...this will help tenderize it as well as keep the meat from drying out....next I would marinate it in your favorite marinade....I typically use a little dales sauce and Italian dressing....easy with the dales, it's salty! After that, wrap it in bacon and throw it on the grill.....quick and easy squirrel! If you prefer to fry it,brine, marinate it in dales, dip into egg, coat with flour, and toss it in some olive oil! Both ways are great!

Take the squirrels and par boil them until the meat falls off the bone. Then cut the lean meat up into small pieces and put them into a pot of fresh dumplings. Butter/salt/pepper to taste, and cook all of it together until you have a nice thick gravy along with the squirrel and dumplings. Best way I've ever had it, and if it's cooked right, there won't be any left. Just use a recipe for chicken and dumplings and substitute the cooked squirrel, it's awesome!

Take the squirrels and par boil them until the meat falls off the bone. Then cut the lean meat up into small pieces and put them into a pot of fresh dumplings. Butter/salt/pepper to taste, and cook all of it together until you have a nice thick gravy along with the squirrel and dumplings. Best way I've ever had it, and if it's cooked right, there won't be any left. Just use a recipe for chicken and dumplings and substitute the cooked squirrel, it's awesome!
^^^^^Just like the man said^^^^^It'd be a crime to cook them any other way!

Growing up it was par boil and then pan fry. Guy I used to work with said that they toss them in the crock pot like chicken and just pick out the little bones.

Cut the squirrels into quarters
Par boil them with a little water in a pot just until tender.
Take them out of the pot and dip them in a buttermilk and egg wash and then some flour with salt and pepper.
Fry those delicious quarters up in vegetable oil until golden brown just like fried chicken. Remove them from the oil and drain.

Gravy : Save 2 tablespoons of oil left in the pan from frying the squirrels and put it on medium heat.
Add 2 slightly heaped Tablespoons of All purpose flour and lightly brown the flour in the oil making a light tan roux.
Turn the heat up a little and add 2 cups of milk stirring constantly. (sometimes I use 1 cup of milk and one cup of chicken broth) When it starts thickening up add salt and pepper to taste.

pre heat the oven to 450
Biscuits: 2 cups of self rising white lilly flour in a bowl.
Grate 4 tablespoons of cold butter into the flour and then mash it into the flour with your fingers for about 1 minute.
Add about 2/3 cup of buttermilk. (milk will work if that's all you have) and stir it into the flour until a dough is formed.
Place the dough on a floured surface and gently fold it over and knead it out about 10 times. work it out about 1/12" thick and flat and then cut out the biscuits. Put foil on a baking sheet and spray it with cooking spray. put the biscuits in the oven at 450 for 15 - 20 minutes.

I like to eat squirrel biscuits n gravy with baked sweet potatos and rice, but any country vegetables from seasoned butter beans to collards etc is gonna be just fine.

Ok now it's 1 AM and I'm hooongry. Reckon it's time to go make some biscuits n eggs.

vanderbiltaprilfoods41-1-880x589.jpg

Par boil,debone,use stock pour in potatoes and carrots,add debone meat cook until done,kinda like beef stew.loosen your belt and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom