• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When did you/do you plan to take SS?

I Started this year at 65, wife is 61 and just retired. Her father is 89 and still going strong so he tells her to wait as long as she can. Her mom died at 85 but a younger sibling ony made it to 44. At this point we haven't made up or minds hoping she will wait. Guess I'll have to find a calculator.

Go to the SS website and see what the monthly amount looks like at different ages.
It will tell you at 62, 65, 67, and max (70?).
Just log on and enter your info.
I've got my actual numbers to ponder in the 5-10 years that I have left.

I Started this year at 65, wife is 61 and just retired. Her father is 89 and still going strong so he tells her to wait as long as she can. Her mom died at 85 but a younger sibling ony made it to 44. At this point we haven't made up or minds hoping she will wait. Guess I'll have to find a calculator.
No one in my family had lived past 72, so I started SS at 62. ran the figures, looked like I’d be 77 before my break-even point.
Well, I blew past that and now it’s money left on the table every month.
All you can do is make a decision based on the info you have available.
I’ll just happily eat the loss every month I’m still above ground.

After much study and lots of calculations, I have reconsidered my earlier statement of retiring at FRA. I am planning to file three months before my birth month in 2024 so the effective date of Medicare and SS will be the first day of my birth month when I turn 65. The SS benefit is slightly smaller than what it would be at my FRA but there things I want to do while I'm still able. I did retire from my employer in 2015 and left with a good pension which is working well.

Here's a good calculator for retirement as well as retirement + job: https://smartasset.com/retirement/georgia-retirement-taxes#Kg5xfnxWEN

Back
Top Bottom