• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When do you mount a deer?/Show off your Mounts!

Nob0dy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
319   0
Reaction score
I just recently got my second buck and decided to get the deer mounted because it was the first buck I got on my uncle's land. I wanted it as a reminder since I really enjoy spending time with my uncle. Its not a monster buck by any means but it got me thinking.

What are your personal guidelines for mounting a deer? Is it size? The story behind it? Will you just do a European mount or full on mount? I've read some other sites about other guys guidelines and I was just curious what you guys do?

I personally will mount anything that I find special or that is a memory I like to keep. Like I mounted my first deer I ever got which happen to be my first buck (8 pointer). The first two pictures are of my first buck and the last picture is the 7 pointer I recently got with my uncle.

IMG_2194.JPG
KIMG0051.jpg

deer.jpg

If the story or deer is worth the $350-400 it cost to mount. Guess that is different for people. I’m having this fella mounted. If it is close but not worth it gets the Euro treatment.
View attachment 1400203
I do it for the story or the size, but again to each their own. I know guys would won't mount any deer but monsters.

I've had several shoulder mounts done over the years but now I mostly have Europe mounts done.
Like you said, the story or memory is the main reason to do it. I mounted my only shooter buck from last year based mainly on the memory. It was a good hunt that involved my Father and a close friend. Every time I see that deer I will remember that hunt and the people that I shared the experience with.

You should mount whatever you want. It's for you and your memories and pride. No one else's opinion matters. I have many animals mounted. Some people would consider some of them "real" trophies and some only mean anything to me. I'm fine with that.

A trophy is in the eye of the one who got it.

euro is what I do. earlier I had some mounted but they to ended up on a plaque and the rest was a bow target

I could never afford it until recently so when I shot my first one worth mounting, I went and did it. I think alot more deer would be mounted if it didn't cost 450 and take a year to do.

I mounted my 1st buck that I took and he was massive, rack not so much but still a solid 8 point.

Now if the rack is small I get them clipped and if it's a good size rack I get the Euro Mount (takes up less wall space)

If I get a Swamp Donkey like my BIL did earlier this year... I'm gonna use Jeff Foxworthys head Mount guy!

You should mount whatever you want. It's for you and your memories and pride. No one else's opinion matters. I have many animals mounted. Some people would consider some of them "real" trophies and some only mean anything to me. I'm fine with that.

A trophy is in the eye of the one who got it.

I'm clear, I'll mount whatever I want its my money. Was just curious what the rule of thumb was for other members.

Back
Top Bottom