• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

When is Deadly Force justified during a riot?

I mostly agree. But like I said, the law (in GA) does a pretty good job of aligning with when it's reasonable and moral to use deadly force as well. Thinking about these situations and scenarios helps me better realize when a threat exists and when I SHOULD take action, in addition to knowing when I'm "allowed" to take action. I think it also could help you have a more clear head in all the commotion as well.

For example: Someone asked about if you're in your car and a mob surrounds it/you. You can't use deadly force yet. What if they bang on your car with their fists? Not yet. What if one of them starts bashing at your window with a crow bar? Well, now it gets tricky. Is your car completely surrounded to the point that you can't drive away? If not, you should've already drove away. If so, then yes. What if your car WAS surrounded and blocked in but no that he's bashing your window in it isn't (let's say that the light turned green so the car in front of you has pulled away). Now what? Well if he's bashing in your driver side window then you should probably shoot him because he'll likely bust your head open if you sit up straight to drive away. If it's another window he's bashing in then you're safer just driving away at this point.

Is there anywhere in this scenario where the law does not match what is the most reasonable and safe thing for a person to do?

The only time that I would disagree with the current laws on is that you can now stand your ground and it is not necessary to drive away if you can do it without increasing the danger to yourself. The prudent thing to do is drive away if you have the opportunity to do so, but the law no longer requires it.

Yeah, several.
1) I'm driving away, if that includes driving OVER someone who has surrounded my car, too bad.
Manslaughter
2) Same as #1
Manslaughter
3) I'm unloading
Good Shoot.
4) I'm unloading
Good Shoot. Stand your ground.
5) Yep
Good Shoot.

See, that wasn't so hard if you think about it beforehand. LOL

I was downtown during the Rodney King riots with Eldrin Bell swimming through the looting crowd with a bullhorn trying to convince them to go home.

I had a 1911 with a single magazine in it pointed out my front windshield. The crowd stayed out of my way as I made my way home.

However this was before the Katrina refugees imported their brand of extreme violence.

I was downtown during the Rodney King riots with Eldrin Bell swimming through the looting crowd with a bullhorn trying to convince them to go home.

I had a 1911 with a single magazine in it pointed out my front windshield. The crowd stayed out of my way as I made my way home.

However this was before the Katrina refugees imported their brand of extreme violence.

This is one of those rare occasions when brandishing and even a warning shot might be a good idea.

What police there were just waved me on through as I kept the 1911 laid up on the dashboard.

Yes, I was absolutely willing to ram the pickup truck through the crowd if they had become agressive. The gun was only for if the window broke.

The ATL rioters were merely opportunistic looters, like the freaknickers.

When I am surrounded by folks I dont know and he more than 3 lines of a foriegn language...pig latin included.

When out and about and more than 2 guys wearing assless chaps try to talk to you.

When surrounded by a wild gang of dogs, even though they are just puppies.

When out at a resturant and the server just looks like he had someone spit in your food.

When I run into Flip Spiceland and he is trying to do the weather forcast in the train station.

They are ALL good shoots if I make it home safely. I'll GLADLY go to trial for 1 & 2. :)

But will you GLADLY go to prison for 25 years? That would be the result of you killing someone with your car just because you were scared when there was no direct threat towards you.

You said earlier that you would not kill someone that was not a direct threat to you even if it was legal, but now you are saying you would do it even if it was NOT legal.

Last edited:
But will you GLADLY go to prison for 25 years? That would be the result of you killing someone with your car just because you were scared when there was no direct threat towards you.

You said earlier that you would not kill someone that was not a direct threat to you even if it was legal, but know you are saying you would do it even if it was NOT legal.
Bear,
We've been talking past each other this entire thread I'm afraid. If I run over someone with my car, they ARE a direct threat to me as I feel my life is in danger, by definition. I don't view people as speed bumps. If the law decides I was wrong so be it. I don't make life and decisions based on the law. I'll make them based on.... whether or not I feel my life is in danger. The alternative is for me to sit there fearing for my life and thinking "well I can't do anything yet because it'll be illegal. I sure hope none of them pull out a piece and shoot me. Hard to keep my eyes on all 50 of them. "? I don't think so....

Bear,
We've been talking past each other this entire thread I'm afraid. If I run over someone with my car, they ARE a direct threat to me as I feel my life is in danger, by definition. I don't view people as speed bumps. If the law decides I was wrong so be it. I don't make life and decisions based on the law. I'll make them based on.... whether or not I feel my life is in danger. The alternative is for me to sit there fearing for my life and thinking "well I can't do anything yet because it'll be illegal. I sure hope none of them pull out a piece and shoot me. Hard to keep my eyes on all 50 of them. "? I don't think so....

Handle it the way you think is best, but another alternative would be to sit there without letting your fear make decisions for you and see if a real threat developed. Even if a real threat DID develop in this situation you would not be justified, or moral IMHO, running a different and non threatening person down to escape the real threat.

Obviously, we are just going to have to agree to disagree about this, but I want to make clear that I do not think that my way of thinking will cause even the slightest hesitation in my actions if the situation calls for the use of deadly force AND I will not be placing my future in the hands of an ignorant jury.

Back
Top Bottom