• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

where can you buy coal in the atlanta area

kelleyga36

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
56   0
Reaction score
I would like to get some coal for a forge I want to play with. There is a guy on craigslist selling it for $20 for 50lb bags just trying to see if there are any other options.

Last edited:
I would like to get some coal for a forge I want to play with. There is a guy on craigslist selling it for $20 for 50lb bags just trying to see if there are any other options.

Thats not bad actaually. Coal has a lot of energy and you dont need a more than a few pounds per session. Use a charcoal lighter to start it

Find a rail roader. My dad was a freight conductor and brought 5 gallon buckets for our cabins pot bellied stove. It tends to fall off the over full cars in the RR yards.

Oh damn, by the way be careful and verify what type of coal it is before using it. Best I recall there are 2 types and he grabbed a bucket of the wrong stuff one time.

We damn near melted the pot bellied stove and set the cabin on fire.
There was no sleeping that night as the pot bellied stove was glowing red and appeared ready to melt.
Stay away from the stuff with blue streaks in it, unless you're trying to melt cast iron it's the wrong stuff!!!! lol

(We couldn't even try to remove some of it, the stove was unapproachable it was so hot.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom