• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where did you take Basic training or Boot Camp?

harmony Church 66
I knew where I was headed, Polk and Nam. The D I's were just trying to keep me alive. And so they did, First Inf. CIB Point man off and on, 6 months then radio man for PLt. Leader 3 months. He went back to be Co. XO and took me with him. Saved my life. My platoon was ambushed, several dead and wounded. Wish I could thank him now, think he has passed, along with so many other Brothers.

Parris Island 1989. Check out our platoon flag on right side. My mother was so proud!
IMG_1082[1112].JPG

Ft. Jackson SC, September 84. Ft. Gordon GA for AIT. Then to 2 AVN of 2 Inf Div at Camp Casey in Korea. 2/6 Cav in Ft Hood TX then moved our whole Apache squadron to an old airfield in Illesheim Germany

Nice... I did Lackland AFB in June / July 1976....
Then I spent the next, almost 4 years in Vance AFB in Enid, OK....

That's a bummer getting stuck so long In Oklahoma. After Lackland my specialty school was at Lowery in Denver, then off to Langley in Hampton VA and finished up at Bitburg Germany.

Lackland AFB Oct - Nov 1958, completed basic and tech school at Shepard AFB, Tx. Shipped to Seymour-Johnson AFB, Goldsboro NC April 59 to Jul 62; Wheelus AB Libya, Aug 62 to Feb 64; England AFB LA Mar 64 to Apr 67; back to Sheppard AFB on instructor duty Apr 67 to Mar 70. Taught computer programming on latest mainframe AF bought. Got offer couldn’t refuse to get out and work for computer company in compiler support. Spent almost 31 years with them until took early retirement package end of 2000. Mostly enjoyed my time in, especially the instructor tour. Opportunities and money made my decision to get out. I already knew if I stayed in, it was four years at Air Training Command HQ and then four years at Personnel Center, both at Randolph AFB Tx. I had been told that by senior folks I taught who came in TDY from there for training. Mostly, boot camp was a joke compared to other branches. Still remember senior TI was SSGT Locklear from NC, I think near Lumberton.

How was it, when you went in? I'll start by saying it wasn't fun by any means. In my case it was Ft Jackson in Nov-Jan 57-58 and it was nineteen degrees. We had 0 week and then the eight weeks training. We spent eight weeks in Tent City. They hadn't finished renovating the wooden barracks, so we got to live in a part wood bottom and frame top with a tent thrown over it. A screen door at each end. Eight men were doubled bunked in each one. It had concrete floors and one pot bellied stove fueled by coal.
The latrines were wide open. No stalls and the flush was boiling water. The showers were one big room with a bunch of spigotsView attachment 1550542 overhead.
This is a picture of some of the guys that just got issued their uniforms and they were assigning us to our sleeping quarters. No haircuts yet.
We did not have DIs. They were called Cadre. Every one of them were Combat vets from WW2 and Korea. I still have the book from Basic.
After I finished there, I was sent to Ft Dix NJ for Infantry training.
I enjoyed the comfort of those wooden barracks, you mentioned, at Ft Jackson in the Spring of 1991. My father enjoyed them (two doors down from mine) in 1962. In retrospect, I had a great time and relish my memories of Tank Hill and Drag Ass Hill. At the time though, I thought I was in Hell. I have a nephew at Ft Benning right now. I hear it is Hell. They can't use their phones until Week 3.

Back
Top Bottom