• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which book

Awesome website. I bookmarked that for later on. I'll have to keep an eye out for some sales. I don't have any friends that reload so it will just be me. I'm going to try and get a progressive press when I see a deal. Thanks for all the information.
You would be much better served with something like a turret press to start.
There's a lot happening on a progressive with each stroke.
I find most guys that want to learn on a progressive getting very frustrated and often break stuff.
I'm not saying it can't be done, only that it's going to cost you in aggravation and maybe some money in replacement parts.

Good luck either way!:yo:

I started reloading with a (used) turret press I got almost for free, it came with all the "goodies" and a boat-load of other items. I have eventually sold off the "other" goodies I didn't need to pay for upgrades (new dies) and eventually a (new to me) progressive press. I still use the turret for hand loading large caliber rounds, but I have the new(ish) press tuned to turn out 9MM and .223 rounds. If I hadn't learned the basics on the turret before getting the progressive, I would have taken a sledge hammer to the new press... As it turned out, the turret (a late 1960's vintage) was and is a much better built press. The progressive CAN turn out a LOT of rounds quickly, but it's very finicky and needs a lot more monitoring while running,
IF you do buy a used press, check to see about manufacturer's warranties, Lee Precision will replace 90% of the press and only charge shipping (I've replaced most of the press due to the fact it was WELL used and nearly worn out), used presses can be a bargain.

Awesome website. I bookmarked that for later on. I'll have to keep an eye out for some sales. I don't have any friends that reload so it will just be me. I'm going to try and get a progressive press when I see a deal. Thanks for all the information.
One advantage of a progressive press is you CAN use is as if it were a single press. Just disable, disconnect, unplug the index mechanism and away you go.

IF I notice a press on-line I'll let you know.

Is the hazmat fee only on powder? Seems like if it's $24, that could be better to buy local unless you buy a ton.
Hazmat is for powder and primers. Some distributors will ship primers and powder together, and some won't. Some offer sales with free hazmat and/or shipping, you just have to shop around and be patient. I've waited 6-12 months before ordering, just waiting on the right deal or the right powder.

I will usually go in with a buddy or two so we can split hazmat/shipping fees, but if I see a great deal on powder or primers, I'll sometimes buy a couple of 8# kegs of powder and add one or two cases (6000) of primers to minimize the hazmat impact. If I get them for a good deal, I can usually swap extra powder or primers with another reloader for a different component I need.

Buying in bulk, I can keep my powder cost down to $20/lb or less, even including hazmat & shipping. Of course it might not be the latest and greatest!

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

Is the hazmat fee only on powder? Seems like if it's $24, that could be better to buy local unless you buy a ton.

Haz mat fee is actually for anything that is considered a hazardous material that must be shipped over state lines if I remember correctly?
in this case it would cover both powder and primers.
24 bucks sounds about right and be careful as a few places add to that for packaging/ handling.
a single Haz mat label covers up to 70 pounds of material, of course now packaging in included in that weight . so figure likely 65-68 pounds of actual product.
it makes no sense to order a couple pounds of powder or 1-2 K primers, but if you up the amount it saves you money.
Generally speaking it cost me 40 bucks to get powder and primers delivered to my front door.
so as I can buy powder from 2-6 plus bucks per pound cheaper online than locally and pay no sales tax then its a no brainer for me as long as I order say 25 -30 plus pounds of powder or a combination of powder and primers.
4 & 8 pounders let you save even more money.
Primers (cci) can be had for 26-28 bulks per thousand.
to each their own but it saves me a good bit on my reloading supplies buying bulk online.
You might want to check out Extreme bullets for FMJ projectiles, they have decent prices and the shipping is usually 5 bucks unless you want it yesterday and pay extra freight.

Back
Top Bottom