• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Which Military Branch to Join?

Which Military Branch to Join?

• Total voters
9 years in the Army and I say.. Air Force. (If they'll take you!)

^ gotta go with this. I always herd they got a substandard living bonus anytime they had to stay on an army base. Just take advantage of that post 911 GI bill cause it's pretty awesome. Strongly consider OCS.
Also consider the reserves and the guard.

If you can pull it off, Navy Nuclear. If not, Air Force.

I totally agree with jlcnuke. Go Navy nuke for 8 years, get a Masters degree in Nuclear Engineering while there, then get out and have your choice of any nuclear plant in the US

or go Air Force for 8 years, get an Engineering degree in Aviation Engineering, get out and pick where you want to work

I was in the Army, if you want a filed that you can find a high paying career when you leave, Air force or Navy. Plus they treat their people better.

8 years in the Marines and got out. Ten years later tried to go back........nope too old. So army guard here I come. ETS in January and it's done. All that said, if you want hard, Marines. If you want a ton of choices, army. If you like water, navy. If you want a nice cushy job with great accommodations, air force.

Currently Army. I tell everyone who asks to go Air Force. Virtually any MOS will give you some sort of technical skill to use in the civilian world. Also, much better living conditions and "atmosphere."

All things considered, choose the one that has the job you want available. The military isnt a great place to "switch majors," on your first enlistment at least you will be picking a job and sticking it out. So, if you wanna work on jets or learn about nuclear reactors or fix generators or cook waffles or clean guns or whatever, decide that and look at the service that offers the career path that most closely matches what you want to be doing for the next 4-6 years.

That ^ is the day job angle.

What you should consider also is your second career in the military. When you are not in training or at work fixing nuclear reactors or big rigs or whatever you have a second iob at your unit doing military things. Some services spend that extra time shooting guns and camping, some spend it inspecting each others clothing and haircuts and stuff, some spend it cutting grass and painting bricks, and some spend it doing lots of paperwork. Some services wake you up for pee tests more often, some deny or cancel leave mote often, some have more extra time in the motor pool, some have more red tape, some have more assholes.

Always think of your life as two-fold, where your day job might be one thing but always having your second job 24/7. Consider both jobs efore choosing your service.

Back
Top Bottom