• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which one of you were this D.I.Y. builder?

Guess it couldn’t support a hot tub after all.
How many of them redneck girls were inside with him, when it fell? lol :becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::pound::pound::pound::pound::peace::peace::peace:
1712412787886.png

To all DIY guys:
It is always a great idea to call for inspection, the city or county inspector would have caught those deadly mistakes….
I find it useful to do a little research BEFORE I start a project, the internet can be a wonderful thing for searching things like: Code requirements and installation/construction methodologies and application specific guidelines. In my experience, people tend to overestimate their abilities, especially when it comes to DIY. Hell, I run into people in the trades that half-ass things on a daily basis...and they are supposed to be the professionals! On the plus side, the installer probably saved $150 on lumber and a half a day in labor!

Used to be, decks were nailed to the house. Now, they are supposed to be bolted with nuts and washers.
the primary issue, from what I see, is that the joists were attached to the ledger board without joist hangars, and it goes without saying that there should have been additional joists under the deck. The joist hangars (if attached properly) will support the wait of the deck.

Back
Top Bottom