• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which one of you were this D.I.Y. builder?

No supports are need near the house if it is attached properly.
I believe the support posts are supposed to be no more than 8' apart, that deck looks to be about 16' (if the joists are 2' apart). A second set of support posts in the center of the deck would have mitigated the issue all around.

I believe the support posts are supposed to be no less than 8' apart, that deck looks to be about 16' (if the joists are 2' apart). A second set of support posts in the center of the deck would have mitigated the issue all around.
I'm definitely not a professional deck builder, but before I built mine I did quite a bit of research. I like to know how to do things right, and preferably only once.

I'm definitely not a professional deck builder, but before I built mine I did quite a bit of research. I like to know how to do things right, and preferably only once.
To me the deck looks like it was built solid as a rock, but was not attached correctly to the house or the outer supports...
30-year electrician, only built two decks, but laugh at Carpenters daily..

To me the deck looks like it was built solid as a rock, but was not attached correctly to the house or the outer supports...
30-year electrician, only built two decks, but laugh at Carpenters daily..
We may have the same experience - 25 years commercial and industrial electric and controls! LOL

We may have the same experience - 25 years commercial and industrial electric and controls! LOL
In a previous life, world traveler as a systems integrator for virtually every industry.
Started in relay and air-logic controls and evolved along with controls through many PLC, VFD, Servo, Robot and network manufacturers. Am retired now, in the process of rebuilding my 750 sq ft rear deck. Slow................ :hat:

And, my favorite recreation on-site, especially at new builds, was to watch the mechanical contractors. Always an amazing rewrite of the laws of physics, on a daily basis. :becky:

In a previous life, world traveler as a systems integrator for virtually every industry.
Started in relay and air-logic controls and evolved along with controls through many PLC, VFD, Servo, Robot and network manufacturers. Am retired now, in the process of rebuilding my 750 sq ft rear deck. Slow................ :hat:

And, my favorite recreation on-site, especially at new builds, was to watch the mechanical contractors. Always an amazing rewrite of the laws of physics, on a daily basis. :becky:
I own a facility/building automation company now, damn near impossible to find qualified help! Lot of folks have great resume's and can definitely talk the talk, but you put them in front of a piece of equipment with a multimeter and they are as lost as a goose in a hail storm. SMDH

Back
Top Bottom