• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which one of you were this D.I.Y. builder?

Same thing happened to me this past summer. 10 x 10 deck on the side of the house with a shed on it. Fortunately it did not fall all the way, fell about 3 feet on the side where it had been bolted to the house and came to rest there. I was able to get a 4 x 4 under the end and jack it back into place. Then installed 3 6 x 6 supports on the house side where it had been bolted by the builder 20 years earlier.

It always goes to show….. even when/if you “think” you know what you’re doing, call someone who does !!
At least get another opinion !! Have someone that knows look at it and see if you missed something. It’s easy to do, even if you do know what you are doing mostly.
You can get tired, sidetracked, etc., etc., and make a mistake easily ! lol

Edit: Like OttoMan OttoMan says above : GET AN INSPECTION ! :)

Don’t know how much 2 more 2x10s and a couple more 4x4’s would have cost but it sure could of saved a crisis
I can not believe the didn't support that with two 4×4's on the inside. I mean it couldn't have cost that much. When I was in high school during the summers, I use to work for a guy that did decks, privacy fences, poured driveways, underground sprinklers pretty much anything and gutting and rebuilding government housing for Indians ( that's American Indians ), they got free houses, free schooling supplies and all kinds of stuff. Anyway we always supported decks at all four corners. This is baffling in thought and structure! I mean what were they they thinking. Look how thin the actual structural support is! 🤔

Back
Top Bottom