• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Which modern calibers can be loaded with black powder?

FamDoc2892

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
235   0
Reaction score
Any of you guys with a working knowledge of firearms history that can tell me which modern cartridges were originally designed with black powder loads in mind? I'm aware that 30-30 was originally a BP cartridge, but are there others?

Any of you guys with a working knowledge of firearms history that can tell me which modern cartridges were originally designed with black powder loads in mind? I'm aware that 30-30 was originally a BP cartridge, but are there others?

.45-70

- - - Updated - - -

.45-70

30-30 was not a BP cartridge. It was smokeless from the get go, introduced in 1895. The 30-30 had the distinction of being the first small bore game cartridge to be offered in smokeless. You can load .38 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Schofield .32 S&W and .32 S&W-L, .44 Special, .44 Russian etc. etc. with BP.

You can load the 30-30, and 7.62x54R also with black powder, i use 3F grade and i simply fill the case mouth to the top and then seat the bullet compressing the charge. With black powder there is no danger of high pressure when firing in any firearm proofed for modern smokeless powders.

Also, don't know if you had it in mind or not, but its not a good idea to load any cartridge with black powder if its to be fired in any gas operated firearm.

Last edited:
That's what I was wondering about, given the lower pressures. Vernon.45, have you checked velocity with any of your rounds? Wondering if you can still get decent hunting velocity with a BP load? I guess the larger cases will have an advantage at that point.

Back
Top Bottom