• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Which Powder (Redding Match Grade Measure)

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I have issues with this Redding Measure I puchased 23 years ago. It seems unchanged from todays model. I think that's a good sign.

Small particle powders leak all over the darn place and I can't use them (AA 2520/2230). Long particle (extruded) powders meter well even if they get chopped up a bit. The short cut Hodgen powder meters well without the chopping like IMR 4064.

Anyone have any recomendations for a .223/5.56 type of powder that won't gunk up a gas operated system and won't leak out all over my bench if I use this Redding powder measure to throw the charge?

Today

i48.tinypic.com_34qnxw9.jpg

http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40:match-grade-model-3br-powder-measure

A 23 old measure

i46.tinypic.com_2lj2vqh.jpg

Thanks for any advice offered.

Wow 23 years ago, I just got started. I assume those aa's you mentioned are the spherical type? I am using the lee auto on my turret with cfe223 which is a spherical, no problems with it leaking.

Wow 23 years ago, I just got started. I assume those aa's you mentioned are the spherical type? I am using the lee auto on my turret with cfe223 which is a spherical, no problems with it leaking.

Yeah the small ball type powders flow ( AA 2520/2230- Win 230 etc.) and meter great typically but this "match type" measure allows it to leak out with each throw all over the bench. Larger granules or extruded (stick) powders seem fine though and measure accurately. I tried flake powder like Bullseye back years ago but the flake powders measure out all over the place and you have to weight each charge and adjust it. A real PITA when your reloading 100's of pistol rounds.

I'm looking for something larger in diameter, shoots well in a semi-auto gas operated rifle and groups well.

Sounds like a mess, wish I could offer some different powders but I'm using only two different powders. The other is Hodgdon Universal for my pistol round which works well for me.

I thought Lee powder measures were the only one's to leak fine ball powders?

I've been using an RCBS for about as long. It doesn't leak, but you know I have a Lee Perfect Powder measure that was given to me a few years back that I use for the majority of my .223 loading.

I use H322 now as it is so good in the 6.8 SPC. It's a small fine extruded that I don't remember being too messy? It doesn't deliver as high of velocities as the "usual" AR ball powders, but the accuracy is excellent with several bullet types.

It may be worth a try through the Redding?

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page4.php

It's very fine, nothing like the sticks we usually associate the word extruded with. Here's pics comparing the usual ball and H322. It meters very well, much better than Varget.

Attachments

• H335.jpg
    H335.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 127
  • H322-1.jpg
    H322-1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 132
Well checked for it and I can't find H 322 anywhere? It looks like it will work fine in the measure. Thanks everyone.

Is H 4895 the same diameter?

Back
Top Bottom