• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

While we are waiting... can we talk about what would ease NFA simplification?

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
I filed in early August, so most likely have a few months left of waiting. I'm pretty frustrated that I have to wait even 5 minutes, much less 172,800 or so minutes. So I was thinking that an easy solution to implement to remove the pain of NFA is to create an NFA license, like C&R that is a one time purchase for $200, with which you could continue to buy NFA items without a repetitive ATF review of each item.

Second thought is that once you have one NFA item either an individual transfer or on a trust, any subsequent transfers on the same name/address should be "shall issue", and the pending/inprocess form should be a temporary "permit" in lieu of the stamp. Meaning, you submit the form, you get/can make the item freely, and it's the ATF's job to inform you of discrepancies and to work with you to correct them. You should have to wait 4 months to find out there is a typo and then start over.

Before anyone says it, I'll say if first. There should be no NFA. There should be fireams purchases. You bought a gun. You passed a background check. There should be no differentiation between barrel length, rate of fire, pistol grips or stocks. and suppressors should be completely non-NFA. No one has ever been killed with a suppressor.

Not that you've heard of anyway. :rolleyes:

Your carry license should be enough for you to buy anything you wish.
Totally agree. Carry license does the fingerprints and background check anyways. Hell if it's about the money then still charge the $200 but make it a no wait. You'd actually make a lot more without the wait

Not that you've heard of anyway. :rolleyes:

Your carry license should be enough for you to buy anything you wish.

True-someone may have bashed someone's head in with a suppressor, but it wasn't the suppressor that killed them. It was the blunt force trauma.

I'd agree that the carry permit should be enough, and from that position, I'd say the Bill of Rights should be enough.

image.jpeg
The dept of treasury received 30+ million dollars from tax stamps in 2014. They ain't going to reform **** . That's free money to them as they are doing nothing but taking away our rights and then selling them back to us.

a snippet from paragraph two here-->https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/national-firearms-act

"While the NFA was enacted by Congress as an exercise of its authority to tax, the NFA had an underlying purpose unrelated to revenue collection. As the legislative history of the law discloses, its underlying purpose was to curtail, if not prohibit, transactions in NFA firearms."

As stated above the government isn't going to give up the money, but if dealers could issue the stamp and sell a suppressor/MG/SBR the same as any other gun it would be a win for everyone.

The government would get increased revenue from the new buyers who want an NFA item, but aren't willing to jump through the hoops and wait. The retailers would enjoy increased sales from the influx of new buyers and those of us who currently own NFA items, but might make an "impulse buy" from time to time. The manufacturers would benefit from the increased sales with more revenue that would allow for expanding the business and their workforce.

That would be a no-brainer if someone in charge was competent enough to put it in place.

Carry 'permit'? Why should ANYTHING be required? :confused: Just make it illegal for felons to own guns and 'problem' solved. "Permits", NFA hoops, etc.... accomplish what EXACTLY? Other than revenue and lists of course....

I agree with you, that there should be any licensing whatsoever for anything related to firearms.

a person can really get whatever they want without compliance if they so choose, but since most of us are willing to comply with current (unconstitutional, illegal) regulations, they should at least be simplified.

I know that nothing will be made easier, as noted in my last post, ATF and Congress want to maintain limitations, restrictions, and to impose any other hindrances that they can to circumvent 2A.

Look at the soda can launcher. ATF say it's SBR. It's not RIFLED, so it CAN'T be an SBR. It's not a shotgun, so can't be SBS. Since it doesn't fire a projectile from a cartridge, it should have no restrictions, and should be considered at best, a muzzle loader, if not a higher tech potato gun.

But until gun owners refuse to comply en mass, the circumventions will continue.

Back
Top Bottom