• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who’s hunting with the 6.5 cm?

I am saying if used properly it can be an effective round. I use a 30-06 with core lokt rounds. The old but effective cartridge that has done the job almost since the beginning of time. Almost! 😁
What is used properly? Are you saying a double lung shot is improper? Honestly I don’t think you know what you’re talking about at all. The ELD-X bullet from a 6.5 Creedmoor will kill a deer effectively. It will not produce a blood trail consistently. Some people are fine with this and some aren’t.

What is used properly? Are you saying a double lung shot is improper? Honestly I don’t think you know what you’re talking about at all. The ELD-X bullet from a 6.5 Creedmoor will kill a deer effectively. It will not produce a blood trail consistently. Some people are fine with this and some aren’t.
No that's not what I am saying. That particular projectile can work but shot placement it key for it to do it's job effectively. 2 inches above the shoulder and there is no exit wound and all the kinetic energy is dumped it the vitals with 90% weight retention. I have several friends here that use that cartridge extensively on deer here that are considerably bigger than deep south deer. They have no problems with it but it comes to shot placement. Granted it is not as forgiving as some other choices but it will do the job. It comes down to where you prefer your shot placement. I have argued this same point with them and they put me in my place. They have many mounts of trophy deer taken with the ELD-X and swear by it. I can't argue with the proof hanging in the wall.
I am not here to say any of you are wrong with your methods. All I am saying is it can do the job.

I choose the 308 for my big bore selection here recently over the 6.5 creed. Mainly because of the price of ammo and the reduced recoil over the 30-06. Also there are more options for taking deer. I haven't hunted with it yet but it's on the menu.

I think we're missing the point. I am not arguing against your rounds of choice as I am sure they are all good choices. However, I can't dismiss the potential of that projectile. Again it's all in where the point of impact is. That seems to be the majik of that projectile. Any other POI other than that sweet spot over the shoulder might be a different story all together. I mean there could be an argument for a FMJ projectile on nothing but spine or head shots but that a risky proposition if it doesn't hit the mark. As might be the same with the ELD-X. I have heard that the ELD-M is a viable choice as well. It's probably what I would use with a 6.5 creed.

Basically it all boils down to Hunter to Hunter experience. For every person I hear that doesn't like the bullet I hear two people say that they love it or vice versa.

Basically it all boils down to Hunter to Hunter experience. For every person I hear that doesn't like the bullet I hear two people say that they love it or vice versa.
What I wrote is accurate. I bolded it so you could focus and not get confused.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT made for hunting. Period. It was developed for long range target shooting only. The round was only brought into this world to punch holes in paper and simply will not penetrate the ultra tough hide of the elusive whitetail deer. The ELD-X bullets many have mentioned were developed, after the fact, for SQUIRREL hunting at 600+ yards, which is where they yield their best results. Using these bullets for game over 26 ounces is simply inhumane. Long story short, 6.5 does not start with .3 and is therefore incompetent of delivering any sort of validity as a big game cartridge.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT made for hunting. Period. It was developed for long range target shooting only. The round was only brought into this world to punch holes in paper and simply will not penetrate the ultra tough hide of the elusive whitetail deer. The ELD-X bullets many have mentioned were developed, after the fact, for SQUIRREL hunting at 600+ yards, which is where they yield their best results. Using these bullets for game over 26 ounces is simply inhumane. Long story short, 6.5 does not start with .3 and is therefore incompetent of delivering any sort of validity as a big game cartridge.
Ibex at 350 yards. Oh no! It is in no way an effective hunting cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom