Who’s hunting with the 6.5 cm?

They actually religiously hunted with and recommended the 6.5 Creedmoor. They put the round 2 in above the front shoulder. They were adamant about the 147 grain ELDX projectile. They said the bullet expanded and didn't over penetrate and dumped every bit of the energy into the vitals.
I would not hunt with the ELDX bullet from a 6.5 Creedmoor. While it does kill them dead, there is a good chance you will have no blood trail. Some people don't care about that. Since I've only ever taken double lung shots, I just feel better knowing there will probably be a good blood trail. Otherwise, they work well.

6.5 Creedmoor isn't much different from the 6.5x55 and that's tried and true.

6mm Creedmoor isn't much different from the .243 and that's tried and true.

So I think they're both going to do a good job.

Agree. My buddy's son has killed several with it. I have killed 4 (including the one below), my son has killed 2 and a guest has killed one with my 260 which is essentially the same cartridge. None ran over 40 yards.

View attachment 6267694
I put a 30-06 150 gr. into mine, and they don't run...........

VZM.IMG_20161216_101156.jpg

Amazing and kudos. The one below ran 50 yards and acted like it wasn't even hit. I was using a 300 Win Mag. Some things I can't explain.

View attachment 6295356
Love that Tikka stainless, and nice buck! I tried alot of the newfangled loads when I first joined the site, and had to pretty much always track the deer. I finally decided to go back to my 700 stainless in 30-06 with 150 gr. Power Point, and I haven't had to track a single one since. I know shot placement is very important, but with me not being the best shooter I need all the help I can get!

I shot a doe through both lungs with a 154 gr InterLock out of a 280 and it bolted like a track star about 100 yards into the woods. Thankfully it was squirting a blood trail Helen Keller could have followed. The bullet hit where I intended.

I agree that the 6.5 is a fine round - like any other caliber it needs a good bullet. The 4 guys that I heard complain were all using the ELD bullets. Personally I would use Barnes or SST’s.

I agree that the 6.5 is a fine round - like any other caliber it needs a good bullet. The 4 guys that I heard complain were all using the ELD bullets. Personally I would use Barnes or SST’s.
The SST's are the only round I've shot for maybe 10 years or so. Those awesome on dropping deer.

Nothing wrong with the Creedmoor for hunting whitetails. The problem is people shoot animals with target bullets and or make a bad shot.

Pick a quality hunting bullet with whatever caliber you hunt with.
Someone gets it, bullets matter more than headstamps.

I am a high shoulder shooter. I wait for this shot if at possible. I like to break them down right now. I don’t track deer. It’s all about shot placement. An old man taught me this many years ago. Now I am old, and by golly it works!
I'm very lucky on the broad side heart lung shot as well

Back
Top Bottom